PDA

View Full Version : Removing Algae from Plants

Dacotah7
05-19-2010, 10:09 PM
I do not have a serious algae problem. I quick wipe around the tank every couple of weeks with the magnetic cleaner, cleans up the glass, but that does not help the growth on the plant leaves. Some of it wipes off by hand, but some remains.

Is there a way to clean them up, without harming the plants? I thought I read somewhere about using Hydrogen Perioxide H2O2.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-19-2010, 10:39 PM
What kind of algae is it?

HeatherH
05-20-2010, 01:43 AM
I have a bit of an algae prob myself,if you have the room in your tank I would suggest some otos,they immediately started doing work on it.

I myself tried the peroxide spot treatment with an eye dropper and my java moss is browning. I may have killed it I'm waiting to see if it bounces back.

Sasquatch
05-20-2010, 02:14 AM
I've had success spot treating with Flourish Excel to control various types or algae.

I shut off all the filtration so that the water doesn't move in the tank and then using a pipette (I use those from test kits) squirt Excel directly onto areas that I want to treat. Leave all the filtration off for at least 5 minutes before restarting.

I've treated black brush algae and various green algae with good success using this method.

Dacotah7
05-20-2010, 05:29 AM
What kind of algae is it?

The kind I want GONE! lol

Serioulsy, I don't know. It is not hair or beard, I've had that growing on resin ornaments in my 125g. This problem is in my 20g. It is a thin green layer. That may not be of much help as there are thousands of varitities, but I doubt I could identify a single one.

Would it matter much which type it is, to remove it, treat it, make it go away?

Dacotah7
05-20-2010, 05:43 AM
I've had success spot treating with Flourish Excel to control various types or algae.

I shut off all the filtration so that the water doesn't move in the tank and then using a pipette (I use those from test kits) squirt Excel directly onto areas that I want to treat. Leave all the filtration off for at least 5 minutes before restarting.

I've treated black brush algae and various green algae with good success using this method.

A quick search reveled a positive testimonial:
http://www.epinions.com/review/Flourish_Excel_2_Liter/content_415687151236

MFG's Product Description
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlourishExcel.html

It sounds like it is worth a try

Lady Hobbs
05-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Have you checked phosphates? I have to make sure I do not overfed with fish flakes and use no fertilizers that contain phosphates because it comes out of my tap too high. If this is brown algae and easily wipes off, then it's really diatoms from too high of phosphates. Just might be that a phosphate reducer would cure some of your problems but you can't know that without checking them.

Diatoms are common in newly setup tanks but if you maintain high phosphates, they will continue.