PDA

View Full Version : my goldfish needs a tankmate!

makenziek
05-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Hello! I'm new to the forum, but I just had a question that I can't seem to get answered. I have 10 gallon tank with a comet goldfish in it (Hayabusa, about 5 inches long). I used to have two fish-- his tankmate Sergei passed away last month. Hayabusa seems a little lonely these days, and I was wondering what kind of fish I could put in with him? I have another little comet in another tank (Jupiter) but he's a baby, and I'm afraid Hayabusa will eat him. I know that I could just put another comet with him, but I figure while I'm at it, I might branch out a bit. I know I need something 1.) too big for him to eat 2.) freshwater 3.) cold water, so what are my options? Thanks!

Jacko
05-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Welcome, your tank is just way too small.

It's too small for adding another fish, too small for the current fish you have in it, too small for the small comet you have in an even smaller tank. I'd suggest at least a 55-75 gallon tank or a pond asap, comets can and will get 12-14 inches...

once you've properly housed your current fish and you still want coldwater you could look into white cloud mountain minnows, native darters, rubberlip and pit bull plecos.

annageckos
05-19-2010, 09:45 PM
I would think your goldfish is stunted being housed in such a small tank. A comet type goldfish needs a minimum of a 75 gallon tank, or better yet, a pond. They are large fish reaching a foot or more. Fancy goldfish can be housed in 29 gallons min. with a 30 being better. I would no put anyother fish in that tank and look into getting a bigger tank or even a pond. Kiddy pools work well too.

Brhino
05-19-2010, 10:15 PM
+1 to Jacko and Annageckos. In fact, the fact that you had two goldfish in a tiny tank is probably what lead to the death of the other one in the first place.