PDA

View Full Version : Duckweed

irob
05-19-2010, 06:40 PM
About a month ago I purchased some fish at the LFS. In the bag with the fish were a few pieces of duckweed. I was going to throw them out but my wife thought they were cute so we left them in.

During a water change last night I noticed that we had quite a bit more duckweed than we started out with. This being my first planted tank and knowing nothing about duckweed I was rather proud of myself for increasing my stock.

I've since done a little research and now I'm concerned. I kind of like the duckweed but everyone seems to say that you can never be rid of it once it gets going.

I'm guessing that I've got about 50 pieces of it floating around right now. I started out with about 10.

Why can't you just scoop it out? Is it really that bad?

rich311k
05-19-2010, 06:44 PM
You can scoop it out. if you stay on top of it you can sort of keep it under control. Until it really starts you have no idea how fast the stuff grows. It is great for removal of excess nutrients. i have it in all my tanks, I just scoop it and deal with it. Turtles and goldfish love to eat the stuff.

Wild Turkey
05-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Its not "bad" just hard to get rid of if you so wish.

Some people purposely introduce it because it will starve algae, or just for looks. You will need to scoop some out every once in a while so it doesnt block the light for other plants.

Personally I dont mind it in some of my tanks, others I dont want it at all.