PDA

View Full Version : DIY pondfilter - need help

bairwin
05-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Hello. I have a small pond approx 13ft x 10ft x 2.5ft. I've used small pressurized filters you purchase in the stores but I haven't had alot of luck with them. I would like to build a nice large filter for the pond - possibly using a 55-gal barrel (but not necessaruy). I've read many artices on the subject but none of them seem to get into any real detail to help construction from start to finish and why the filter is put together the way it is. Most articles I've read just show the filter running and that's about it.

Can anyone point me to some constructive links about DIY pond/koi filter construction? It would be greatly appreciated. Than you. Brian I.

smaug
05-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Your pond isn't much smaller then mine.Pond filters do not have the same demands placed on them as tank filters because you really do not need to filter pond water as thoroughly as you do a tank.The biggest concern with pond filtration is biological,a pond the size of yours would need about 25 gallons worth of bio filter material.May I ask what type filter /water movement you have at the moment and what your stock list is?

bairwin
05-20-2010, 01:02 AM
Thank thank you for the reply. The filter is one of those pressurized types (Laguna>) it came originally with some foam ring material and some bioballs. Presentlt the filter is ull of bioballs because the foam would always plug up. I also have a small UV sterilizer connected as well. Once the summer months are here and aquatics vegetation grows the pond water looks fine. Right now I have approx 20 goldfish/red/white. I've had these or approx 3 years and they spend the entire winter under the ice (Nov to April).

smaug
05-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Your pind is approx 1000 gallons.It is also very lightly stocked which leads me to think you have enough bio filt with what you have although more is better.