PDA

View Full Version : Predatory tank

HorrorShowRot
05-18-2010, 01:12 AM
I can get roughly a 150-200gallon tank and wat I want mostly is a jardini or black arrow would like to get also either a ornate bichirs or a tiretrack eel would the tank be big enough? Or no

Red
05-18-2010, 02:47 AM
Depends on the footprint of the tank. You could get som bichirs and tiretrack eel but we would have to find out the footprint of the tank for the aros.

tanks4thememories
05-18-2010, 03:03 AM
Depends on the footprint of the tank. You could get som bichirs and tiretrack eel but we would have to find out the footprint of the tank for the aros.

Awesome point!! These are the types of fish I keep. It is very important to pay more attention to the depth and length of the tank than the gallons it holds. The depth is measured from the front of the tank to the back it is not to be confused with the height which is from top to bottom. Now here is the important thing about depth, one needs to make sure it is enough for the adult fish to turn around comfortably. You will find many high volume tanks (150 & 200 Gal) that have 18 - 24" depth, this is not good for a 36 inch fish. That is it its really quite simple.

PS IMHO Jardini are better choice when space is a concern since silver and black Arowana get extremely long. The only issue with Jardini is they are a lot more aggressive than the others and they tend to use the whole tank as opposed to the others which prefer the upper strata of the water column. Also make sure you know which Birchirs you want because they are not all compatible with each other. Some get considerably larger than others and Birchirs will typically think nothing of eating any fish that fits in their mouth even if it is another Birchir....lol

Hope there was some useful info in my babbling's...lol

HorrorShowRot
05-18-2010, 06:06 AM
Hm will have to check out big als again I cant recall what the footprint was currently:( Will update it probably tomorow.

HorrorShowRot
05-19-2010, 04:15 AM
Well just got he from big alls the footprint is

HorrorShowRot
05-19-2010, 04:18 AM
Well just got he from big alls the footprint is 72x24x30

tanks4thememories
05-19-2010, 04:18 AM
Well just got he from big alls the footprint is
???????????????

HorrorShowRot
05-19-2010, 05:05 AM
Sorry about that my iPhone spazzed out the dimensions are 72x 24x 30

tanks4thememories
05-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Sorry about that my iPhone spazzed out the dimensions are 72x 24x 30

lol No worries:ssmile:
Well,that is a good temp tank for what you are looking to keep but if you really want to have a permanent tank for them you need something deeper kind of in the 36-48" range.

HorrorShowRot
05-19-2010, 05:34 AM
Argh guess I will have to find a custom place to see if they make tanks like that XD

tanks4thememories
05-19-2010, 05:36 AM
Argh guess I will have to find a custom place to see if they make tanks like that XD
www.glasscages.com

http://www.glasscages.com/gc2/customizebuy_over.gif (http://www.glasscages.com/gc2/customizebuy_over.gif)

That is most likely my next tank.

PS keep in mind a full grown silver or black arowana is like 4' long or 48" so even the tank above is kinda cramped for a full grown silver or black. This is one of the reasons I prefer Jardini.

HorrorShowRot
05-19-2010, 05:40 AM
Blech americans get everything do you know if they ship to canada?

tanks4thememories
05-19-2010, 05:49 AM
Blech americans get everything do you know if they ship to canada?

lol...I'm fairly sure they do. If not they do get pretty close I know they ship to upstate NY. Plus they have custom shipping available ..for a fee of course...lol

PS reread my post above I added to it while you were posting...lol

tanks4thememories
05-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Hold on a minute. You live in Canada?
OMG!! Forget about the other arowanas you can have a super red!!! They are illegal here but legal in canada.

tanks4thememories
05-19-2010, 06:38 AM
If they were legal in this country this is what I would have!!!
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwarowana&1274637904 (http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwarowana&1274637904)
http://www.aquabid.com/uploads/fwarowana1274637904.jpg
Now thats a arowana!!!

We can get just about anything in this country. but in Canada you can legally keep just about anything...::ssmile: I would move to Canada just to keep this fish if it wernt so darned cold there...lol

HorrorShowRot
05-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Uh.... :18: Haha maybe I dont hate Canada anymore... Now I gotta research these brutes....:l24: XD

tanks4thememories
05-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Uh.... :18: Haha maybe I dont hate Canada anymore... Now I gotta research these brutes....:l24: XD

TY :ssmile: If you get one you have to promise lots of pics so I can drool and envy you from afar...lol

PS Be careful on aqua bid there are a lot of scammers on the high dollar fish.

Few FAQ's:
- Asian Arowana, (Scleropages formosus)
- It is currently "Defacto" that the "Super Red" version is being separated into its own sub species (Scleropages legendrei)
- Only pet fish that I know of that is "Micro Chipped" as a standard practice. (I think some Koi are as well)
- It is one of the most well known and coveted fish in the world
- Prices start at about 250.00 USD for a decent "pet grade" specimen
- This species Tops the charts as one of the most expensive pet fish often commanding 4000.00 - 45,000.00 USD for a "show Quality" specimen.
- The best place to get them is from the actual farms in South East Asia.
IE: Farm/Showroom
LCK 112, Mukim 12, Neo Tiew Crescent,
Lim Chu Kang Agrotechnology Park, Singapore 710000
Telephone: 65-6791-9029 Facsimile : 65-6732-4319
Mailing Address
No.9, Dublin Road, Singapore 239796
Telephone/Fax: 65-6732-4319 Pager : 9-207-9906
E-mail : tskan@mbox5.singnet.com.sg
- However in countries like yours where they are legal you can often get them from specialty LFS as well.
- The most coveted variations are the "crossback" and "super Red"
It is one of the most well known and coveted fish in the world

Hmmm I guess I have studied them just a little bit...lol

HorrorShowRot
05-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Allrighty here is the plan I will get a red after I try my luck with a jardini how big of a footprint do I need for a big red the fiancée just gave up the computer room for my fishroom woohoo now I can get atleast 2 large tanks and a few small ones

tanks4thememories
05-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Allrighty here is the plan I will get a red after I try my luck with a jardini how big of a footprint do I need for a big red the fiancée just gave up the computer room for my fishroom woohoo now I can get atleast 2 large tanks and a few small ones

Lucky Guy!! I like that idea. Main thing to remember about Jardini is get his tank mates early and make sure they are slightly larger than he is. At about 5-6 inches they turn into "Demon fish"..lol They are seriously Bi-Polar...lol they have major attitude when they hit that size. Once they get settled in all is well.

Well a large Asian might get to 35-40" if you are really really lucky...lol So I would say you could get away with a 46 inch deep tank. so something like a 500 Gallon tall tank would be the minimum id go. thasts about 96 x 48 x 25. You could also ask them for the price on a custom 96x48x48 while you are at it.

tanks4thememories
05-20-2010, 01:57 AM
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Wyne_Importing_Asian_Arowana.html

Nice step by step directions.

HorrorShowRot
05-20-2010, 05:37 AM
XD Red the import law things that is some confusing stuffxD. Anywho the plan first off is to knock out some walls in the "fishroom" and enlarge it I can get oh about 8-10 more feet squared in there;) So thats the first project:)

tanks4thememories
05-20-2010, 05:59 AM
XD Red the import law things that is some confusing stuffxD. Anywho the plan first off is to knock out some walls in the "fishroom" and enlarge it I can get oh about 8-10 more feet squared in there;) So thats the first project:)

Im looking forward to watching it. Make sure you take lots of pics and start a journal thread. would be an awesome thread to watch grow!!!

HorrorShowRot
05-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Will do:) Probably tomorow I will start a journal... Sadly tho that footprint for the jardini is the best I can get.... For him I am so pissed... Might try the LFS in sudbury but its looking grim. Now the Super reds tank will be fine to get. Got a buddy in the aquarium society I attend that makes custom tank:) price wise the super reds tank is worth it but not for the jars. Now I am just wondering will the jar be allright in the 220? I know it will be cramped for him to turn around but it wont be decorated much near the top where his swimming area is. What else should I put in with the jar. I was thinking a poly watever bichir/ornate bichir. Possibly a eel of some sort fire or tire track eel preferably:) And tank you can be jelouse of the red but im still jelouse of your blueeyes angler:P

tanks4thememories
05-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Will do:) Probably tomorow I will start a journal... Sadly tho that footprint for the jardini is the best I can get.... For him I am so pissed... Might try the LFS in sudbury but its looking grim. Now the Super reds tank will be fine to get. Got a buddy in the aquarium society I attend that makes custom tank:) price wise the super reds tank is worth it but not for the jars. Now I am just wondering will the jar be allright in the 220? I know it will be cramped for him to turn around but it wont be decorated much near the top where his swimming area is.
Well its gonna be cramped no doubt. but thats a long ways off. The other problem is his tank mates.
PS Jars don't stay at the top they use the whole tank and often visit the top...lol Consider them the "bad boys" of the arowana family..lol They look and act more like reds than silvers or blacks. Personally I think they are more ornery than even reds....lol

What else should I put in with the jar. I was thinking a poly watever bichir/ornate bichir. Possibly a eel of some sort fire or tire track eel preferably:)
Here is why tank mates will be challenging in a tank of that size. In order to keep aggressions in check and disappearances to a minimum you need to have fish larger than Jardini, while they are all young, but the Jardini will grow faster than most others so you have to be careful. Then once they are all adults you won't have much problem but once again you will have some huge fish in a small foot print tank. I would suggest you plan on having 2 custom tanks if this is permanent set up. Just take your time and do them one at a time and make sure you have room for them both. At the worst you can sell the Jar to make way for the Red when the time comes. Large Jars go for big bucks. I have often tripled my investment when I've sold mines....lol When you do start stocking I recommend that you put the Jar in last or near last, this way you know what size to get and you also cut down on aggression as much as possible. Most of the tank mates we are talking about aren't really aggressive they just eat what they can whenever they can but the Jardini will pick on stuff just for the heck of it...lol

Well anyway in the Birchir family here are the ones that are most compatible with the Jardini due to their size and alsomost compatible with each other for the same reason:
Lower Jaw Species-Lower Jaw protrudes past upper jaw
P. endlicheri endlicheri ('saddled' or 'red' bichir)- 32"
(subspecies)P. endlicheri congicus ('giant' or 'congo' bichir)- 39" - Now thats a big fish...lol
P. Bichir lapradei ('Lapradei' bichir)- 24"
P. bichir bichir-30+ ''
P.ansorgii-28-30+''

Would not do an eel with birchirs. Birchirs will eat anything that fits in their mouth including other birchirs. This is why the selection I listed for you are all same size range...lol Another good companion are Datnoids. I was gonna have them in my tank but I already committed to Balas and I have them in grow out tank. Still Might sell them off when they mature and get some Dats.

I'm gonna have Balas with my Jar. Also gonna try P. ornatipinnis ('ornate' bichir)- 27" and P. delhezi ('armoured' or 'delhez's' bichir)- 14" although it is not recommended for them to be in same tank with my endi - P. endlicheri endlicheri ('saddled' or 'red' bichir)- 32" - size thing again..lol

And tank you can be jelouse of the red but im still jelouse of your blueeyes angler:P

Hehehe, well we will both have reasons to drool then...lol

Oh here are my fish I listed that will be with my Jardini when I get the one I want. Currently the Balas and Delhezi are in a grow out tank but im hoping in about 4-6 months they will be ready for the big tank.
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs607.snc3/31948_105288432848973_100001034508224_49428_150427 7_s.jpg
Balas

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs637.snc3/31948_105664369478046_100001034508224_51861_705972 8_s.jpg
Rambo - P. endlicheri endlicheri ('saddled' or 'red' bichir)

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs547.ash1/31948_105288416182308_100001034508224_49425_660285 5_s.jpg
Rocky (the larger one) & the other one is as yet unnamed. Both are P. delhezi ('armoured' or 'delhez's' bichir)

Crispy
05-20-2010, 10:55 AM
agree with tanks4 up there. definitely make sure those balas are too big to be considered jar food. I would love a big schoal of balas. :fish:

HorrorShowRot
05-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks for your post I love reading your posts:P Tank:) Time to look at the lfs see what kinda stuff there is:)

tanks4thememories
05-21-2010, 01:04 AM
Thanks for your post I love reading your posts:P Tank:) Time to look at the lfs see what kinda stuff there is:)

Thanx bro!! Happy hunting!! Oh BTW one more thing:

This guy will ship to Canada and he has just about anything you could want (he doesnt do reds, well actually I have never asked..lol). He is a wholesaler so you will save a ton as long as you get it all same time. Ask for Joe tell him you are a member of AC and that Tanks sent ya. (Won't get you anything yet but I am trying to build up some rep for the forums I frequent with this dealer. With that buying power we can get him to do things like wave minimum limits and offer expired sales and such.)
The endi in my 135 G came from him he is real stand up outfit. Mom and Pop wholesaler.

Tropical Fish Distributors, Inc.
1420 Lloyd Road • Wickliffe, OH 44092
877-229-2300 • 440-516-5600 • Fax: 440-516-0600 (http://www.tfdfish.com/)

SmokeyCFH
10-08-2010, 11:29 PM
that tank would be fine at least for a long long while.