PDA

View Full Version : What is all the rage about these pythons lately?

crackatinny
05-25-2007, 04:49 PM
From what I have seen, yer, if a tap is right beside, they would be great, but my nearest tap is in another room, thats a lot of plumming.

I recently bought a gravel vac, that works on a similar principle, only using air from the pump. It works on the same sort of idea as an undergravel filter, air is introduced at the bottom of a tube (polypipe) causing a waterflow, at the top, a stocking is placed over the outlet at a level beneath water (catching all the debri), how simple is that?.

Oh, it does not do a water change at same time?

If you have a cannister filter, turn it off, take the outlet from tank, put thumb over end, and you can either syphon into a bucket (it will do this itself), or after doing it this way as I have the past couple of months, I will soon be putting in a T piece with a garden hose connecter, so I can clip on a hose, switch a tap, and an instant syphon setup, (as long as you do not let it go under the pickup)

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2007, 05:02 PM
The whole point in these pythons is to eliminate the bucket hauling. I didn't mind it until I got the 55 gallon but carrying bucket after bucket of water to the sink can make quite the mess, water on the floor from spills, etc. I can change out 50% (or more) of water from all four of my tanks and refill them all in not much over 45 minutes. I sit and drink coffee while they are emptying and refilling.

crackatinny
05-25-2007, 05:17 PM
The whole point in these pythons is to eliminate the bucket hauling. I didn't mind it until I got the 55 gallon but carrying bucket after bucket of water to the sink can make quite the mess, water on the floor from spills, etc. I can change out 50% (or more) of water from all four of my tanks and refill them all in not much over 45 minutes. I sit and drink coffee while they are emptying and refilling.

I can see where you are coming from hobbs, believe me LOL (the whole mess and water hauling).

But for those without a water sauce close handy, my idea is another option.

Damn I hate the upkeep of my tanks, but to sit and look at the fresh clean tank, with a cuppa (JD) in hand, makes it all worth while:1luvu:

DON'T IT?, Pls tell me it does:help:

hungryhound
05-25-2007, 05:38 PM
My biggest problem is that i am tired of hauling the buckets. With my 46 gallon that is close to 7 buckets each way.

Now with a 30 gallon and a 20 gallon going in the basement I do not want to have to haul buckets up and down a flight of stairs.

If it works it will save my back a lot of stress.

bscman
05-25-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm with you, crackatinny!
I just don't see what all the rage is about...sounds like nothing more than the typical "Our society becomes more and more lazy each day..."

If the only manual labor you have is to carry a bucket or three of water around once a week, you've got it EASY! :rolleyes:

Besides, I'd rather not have fish slime, waste, and other decaying matter in my kitchen sink. That's the place where I was my dishes, rinse my vegetables, etc...etc...
Carry those buckets outside and work double duty watering the shrubs or the grass...no reason in wasting water, which seems to be key with the "Python" to work (siphoning).

No thanks, I'll stick with my buckets...a little EXERCISE never hurt!

hungryhound
05-25-2007, 07:20 PM

True, but that is what my weights, treadmill and Bike are for. If I am going to get some exercise I am going to enjoy what I am doing.

And To do a 50 percent eater change on my 46 gallon it takes about 7 to 8 buckets as i only have a 4 gallon bucket.

That is seven to drain it and seven to fill it.

Then the thirty will be 4 to 5 drain it and 4 to 5 fill it.

add in the twenty it is 3 to drain and 3 to fill

That is over 30 buckets of water I will have to haul, and hauling them is not the most annoying part. It is the time it takes to do that.

My time and back are worth more than the satisfaction I get from doing the manual labor and the little bit of water that is wasted.

octopus44
05-25-2007, 08:10 PM
I just don't see what all the rage is about...sounds like nothing more than the typical "Our society becomes more and more lazy each day..."

If the only manual labor you have is to carry a bucket or three of water around once a week, you've got it EASY! :rolleyes:

Besides, I'd rather not have fish slime, waste, and other decaying matter in my kitchen sink. That's the place where I was my dishes, rinse my vegetables, etc...etc...
Carry those buckets outside and work double duty watering the shrubs or the grass...no reason in wasting water, which seems to be key with the "Python" to work (siphoning).

I can appreciate some good old fashion bucket lifting, but when you've got school and work a python can save you much needed time and energy.

As for wasting water I know its a shame. But if your python can reach a hose outside you can just turn on the water to get the siphoning started and turn it off after you the water flowing from the tank.

hungryhound
05-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Oh, it does not do a water change at same time?

If you have a cannister filter, turn it off, take the outlet from tank, put thumb over end, and you can either syphon into a bucket (it will do this itself), or after doing it this way as I have the past couple of months, I will soon be putting in a T piece with a garden hose connecter, so I can clip on a hose, switch a tap, and an instant syphon setup, (as long as you do not let it go under the pickup)

I do have to admit that this a very good idea and should make a nice DIY thread. Props on the ingenuity.

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2007, 08:58 PM
I can see where you are coming from hobbs, believe me LOL (the whole mess and water hauling).

But for those without a water sauce close handy, my idea is another option.

Damn I hate the upkeep of my tanks, but to sit and look at the fresh clean tank, with a cuppa (JD) in hand, makes it all worth while:1luvu:

DON'T IT?, Pls tell me it does:help:

It sure does and I just got done cleaning all 4 of mine.

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2007, 09:14 PM

I don't call using the python being lazy but simply adapting to an easier way to do large tanks. Using the microwave to heat a sandwich is also easier than using your kitchen stove and a pan. I guess using the microwave also means people are lazy? New things are invented to make the jobs we do easier and I'm all for it.

I change out half my water in each of my tanks every week. That's 30 gallons alone for my 55 gallon that I'd have to dump and refill. Not easy when you have arthritis and emphysema and a whole lot easier than mopping up the floor and trying to get the carpet dry. I dump my water down the garbage disposal and that thing sees a lot more nasty things that fish water.

To call people lazy because they have found a better way to do things is over the top!! Some people have 100 gallon tanks, 200 gallon tanks and even larger. I call them smart!!

hungryhound
05-25-2007, 09:19 PM
I don't call using the python being lazy but simply adapting to an easier way to do large tanks. Using the microwave to heat a sandwich is also easier than using your kitchen stove and a pan. New things are invented to make the jobs we do easier and I'm all for it.

I change out half my water in each of my tanks every week. That's 30 gallons alone for my 55 gallon that I'd have to dump and refill. Not easy when you have arthritis and emphysema and a whole lot easier than mopping up the floor and trying to get the carpet dry. I dump my water down the garbage disposal and that thing sees a lot more nasty things that fish water.

Lady Hobbs, be careful about dumping the water down the Garbage disposal side as dirt can cause your garbage disposal to seize up and stop working. It might be a little safer to dump it down the regular sink side. Just a heads up.

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2007, 09:20 PM
I have found out that gravel sure can sieze up a garbage disposal already.

2manyfish
05-26-2007, 01:04 PM
I did the bucket brigade for 8 years. At first I didn't mind it but over the years as my time got more constrained I was at the point of taking down tanks again because I just couldn't keep up anymore! But now with the python, I can do waterchanges on 4 of my tanks in about 30 minutes or so. On the salt tank I can take the water out quickly too so it even saves time there....

Best Christmas present I ever got!!! :thumb:

xoolooxunny
05-26-2007, 02:27 PM
I can appreciate some good old fashion bucket lifting, but when you've got school and work a python can save you much needed time and energy.

As for wasting water I know its a shame. But if your python can reach a hose outside you can just turn on the water to get the siphoning started and turn it off after you the water flowing from the tank.

I water my garden with it now, its plenty to get the job done. I'll let you guys know if i end up with fish-flavored tomatoes!

Lady Hobbs
05-26-2007, 02:38 PM
I found a good kicker for my house plants! When I rinsed my fluorite and the laterite I bought, I drained the water into large coke bottles and have been fertilizing my plants in that. Man, did they take off.

I bought a huge bag of the laterite and am stuck with it. I had such an awful time with that stuff clouding my water red!! I may keep using it for the run-off for house plants altho I have enough for the next 100 years. I think it might have worked had a used a whole lot LESS of it, made a paste of it and pressed it into the bottom of the tank, planted the tank, then dumped in about 3 inches of gravel on top. Then never, ever moved a plant.

Incredulous_Ed
05-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Man, I want a python. But the bathroom sink is a long ways from my room, so i would have to be spending a lot of money to get one long enough.

2manyfish
05-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Is it more than 50 feet from your room to the faucet? Python makes a 50 footer but if it's a longer distance than that I don't know what to tell you....

BTW, just in case anyone might not know. If you go online to PetSmart and you find they are having an on-line sale of say a Python, and you print out the page, you can take that to their store and they will honor the on-line price. That way you don't have to pay for shipping either!

GoldLenny
05-26-2007, 07:23 PM
You are not wasting water when using it. It goes down the drain, into the sewer system and is recycled, then evaporates and rains down somewhere else. Besides, any N-bacteria and other bacteria that goes down the drain will help with the breakdown of the raw sewage in the treatment system or septic system.

You may be spending a little more money on your water bill but to me, it's well worth it. Time is money to me and I save a ton of time using the Python on my tanks. And running the water while using the Python makes the suction much better for deep cleaning the poop out of the gravel... and believe me, with goldfish and a former common pleco, they do some pooping.

xoolooxunny
05-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Man, I want a python. But the bathroom sink is a long ways from my room, so i would have to be spending a lot of money to get one long enough.

If you start with this, you can go from there. It would end up being cheaper to go get some vinyl tubing from the hardware store and then get a shut off valve, they're like a buck. if its cheaper to get a hose, go for it, but remember not to let water sit in it or use that water, the leaching of the pvc's only occurs if it lays in the hose, so you'll be fine.

A340
05-28-2007, 08:11 PM
No python for me. Think about it this way. Most of us get very little excercise these days, water hauling will give you a total body work out for free everyweek! Not only do you keep your tank clean, your fish healthy, you get your excercise as well ..... thumbs2:

Rue
05-28-2007, 10:07 PM
I don't have a Python either, although I've used one...

...so far the buckets and the sinks haven't been too inconvenient...

...but if I get the 75g I might have to reconsider...

Mdsuave13
06-22-2007, 04:09 PM
i am still confused about the python and its workings.. I have a 55 gallon among 2 other 30g tanks plus a few smaller ones..

When do you put the water conditioner in when refilling the tank? Do you put the WC in the main tank before you start filling, or do you fill it and then mix the WC in?

Just curious as my loaches will not tolerate any amounts of Chlorine at all.. Heck, everytime i do water changes with my buckets, they get all dull and stressed looking....

hungryhound
06-22-2007, 04:33 PM
I believe that there are two ways you can do it.

1. Add the WC before you start filling.

2. Fill a bucket with python hose, add water conditioner, dump and repeat. (this method saves carrying the buckets long distances, but you still have to lift them to dump them in.)

Personally I use method one. My yoyo's haven't croaked in the last month since I got my python.

Also keep in mind that your loaches may be turning pale because of the drop in water level and the disturbance in the tank and not because of chlorine in the water.

cocoa_pleco
06-22-2007, 05:17 PM
i just fill my tank with the python then add conditioner. the tapwater doesnt effect them until about a hour later if i dont treat it

Mdsuave13
06-24-2007, 01:42 PM
thanks HH. I may have to try it out.

Lady Hobbs
06-24-2007, 03:12 PM
There are 3 brands of this water changing systems. It doesn't have to be a python as they all work in the same manner.

Lee, Python and Aqueon all carry the same sort of vac.

Mdsuave13
06-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Thank you lady hobbs.

Btw, this forum is FANTASTIC! I am very happy to have found it. I love being able to have multiple opinions about any given question.

Dave-id
06-27-2007, 06:09 PM
If you start with this, you can go from there. It would end up being cheaper to go get some vinyl tubing from the hardware store and then get a shut off valve, they're like a buck. if its cheaper to get a hose, go for it, but remember not to let water sit in it or use that water, the leaching of the pvc's only occurs if it lays in the hose, so you'll be fine.
Sorry to take this off topic, but what's this about leaching PVC? I'm currently right in the middle of plumbing a new filtration system out of rigid pvc piping. Should I be worried? My straight sections are grey PVC, and the fittings are all white pvc. I think they're both the same plastic, just dyed differently, as they both say sch40 on them? Comments would be appreciated.

kebuchan
07-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Hey all,

Sorry to drag this back to basics for the python but I almost picked one up and then didn't. They had a 25ft at Walmart. Can anyone confirm if it's the distance from the sink to your tank or if the size on the python needs to be twice that?

This is my first 55G and yes I'm lazy, etc etc. but I don't want to haul buckets across the floor. Also, we have 30 and 10 month olds that are probably going to wipe out on a wet floor OR wanna get a taste of that soupy smelly water out of the tank ;-) So, I think the Python or whatever water changes it the way to go, I just need to get one.

Thanks,

Kevin

hungryhound
07-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey all,

Sorry to drag this back to basics for the python but I almost picked one up and then didn't. They had a 25ft at Walmart. Can anyone confirm if it's the distance from the sink to your tank or if the size on the python needs to be twice that?

Kevin

The python does NOT need to be twice the length of the distance between your tank and the sink. It does however need to be longer than the distance to your tank plus 5 to 10 feet to allow you some maneuverability.

Algenco
07-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Sorry to take this off topic, but what's this about leaching PVC? I'm currently right in the middle of plumbing a new filtration system out of rigid pvc piping. Should I be worried? My straight sections are grey PVC, and the fittings are all white pvc. I think they're both the same plastic, just dyed differently, as they both say sch40 on them? Comments would be appreciated.

No worries when using rigid pvc, the problem is with vinyl hose, ever drink from a water hose?

Dave-id
07-05-2007, 10:33 PM
There are probably a lot of different grades of vinyl hose. I'm using some vinyl hose too, but the hose I bought was approved for food and lab use, and I'm sure it will be fine. Here's the description:

High quality flexible PVC compound made with Kuri-Tec formulation. High gloss crystal clear appearance with glass smooth interior to reduce sediment build-up. Non-toxic blue tint in compliance with FDA requirements to enhance clarity. Applications include laboritories, water lines, air conditioning and refrigeration drainage, bottling plants, printing press equipment, ice making machines, furnace drainage, and transfer of weak chemicals and acids. Temperature range of -4°C to 65°C.

Here is the catalogue listing (near the bottom). (http://www.greggdistributors.ca/cathtml/catX26.html)

Algenco
07-06-2007, 02:11 AM
There are probably a lot of different grades of vinyl hose. I'm using some vinyl hose too, but the hose I bought was approved for food and lab use, and I'm sure it will be fine. Here's the description:

High quality flexible PVC compound made with Kuri-Tec formulation. High gloss crystal clear appearance with glass smooth interior to reduce sediment build-up. Non-toxic blue tint in compliance with FDA requirements to enhance clarity. Applications include laboritories, water lines, air conditioning and refrigeration drainage, bottling plants, printing press equipment, ice making machines, furnace drainage, and transfer of weak chemicals and acids. Temperature range of -4°C to 65°C.

Here is the catalogue listing (near the bottom). (http://www.greggdistributors.ca/cathtml/catX26.html)

That's the best , can't go wrong with food grade :thumb:

Bill M.
07-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Python= :1luvu: thumbs2:

For the little time I was in Physics class, my teacher taught us this motto:"Work smarter, not harder..."

Yes, I am a lazy American, and I am proud...haha.....

Ivana
07-15-2007, 06:21 AM
I get plenty of exercise. Roller derby makes sure of that. I also have a full time job and i'm a single parent to two kids under 8. I"m not a lazy person ;) That said, I *bigpuffyheart* my python. I got a 50 foot hose, and can take it from the kitchen to all three tanks, and never have to spill any water. I go through and siphon all three, then adjust the temp, flip the toggle, and fill all three. WC is added during the fill, BTW. If the only exercise that you get during a typical week is carrying buckets, then have at it. Personally, anything that makes life easier for me is fantastic.
I do not own a microwave, and haven't in 3 years. SO nyah. ;P
Come to think of it, I don't have a dishwasher or an ice maker either.