PDA

View Full Version : ID Needed - FINALLY Got A Semi-Clear Photo

VoidParadigm
05-17-2010, 03:49 PM
While transferring this guy back to the big tank we finally replaced, I figured I'd take the oppurtunity to finally get a proper shot of him, as I've been looking for an ID for a while.

The pair I bought were listed as Common Plecos, but they are definitely not a pair of Pterygoplichthys pardalis, the traditional "Common" Pleco. My pair only has eight dorsal rays - and even the guy selling them said they looked really different from the usual "Commons" they buy.

And I don't think it's a Hypostomus punctatus (the other species PlanetCatfish has listed as a Common Pleco) because the shape of the lower half of the body, and the dorsal fin is "off" though you can't see that with the position he's in below. Not to mention mine has no fin/tail spots, and have much thicker dark lines on the edges. (Though you can't see the dark lines in this pic because he's all colored down and grumpy at being moved. lol) There's also a possibility they're just hybrids, I suppose, if that's possible with Plecs.

So, anyone know what I bought?

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/507/Pleco7.jpg

Crispy
05-18-2010, 12:12 PM
does not look like a common, but I can't quite figure out what it is.. lol.. that pic isn't the best for a good ID. I will try later on to get a better ID. If all else fails, post pics on plecofanatics.com.

tanks4thememories
05-18-2010, 12:20 PM
While transferring this guy back to the big tank we finally replaced, I figured I'd take the oppurtunity to finally get a proper shot of him, as I've been looking for an ID for a while.

The pair I bought were listed as Common Plecos, but they are definitely not a pair of Pterygoplichthys pardalis, the traditional "Common" Pleco. My pair only has eight dorsal rays - and even the guy selling them said they looked really different from the usual "Commons" they buy.

And I don't think it's a Hypostomus punctatus (the other species PlanetCatfish has listed as a Common Pleco) because the shape of the lower half of the body, and the dorsal fin is "off" though you can't see that with the position he's in below. Not to mention mine has no fin/tail spots, and have much thicker dark lines on the edges. (Though you can't see the dark lines in this pic because he's all colored down and grumpy at being moved. lol) There's also a possibility they're just hybrids, I suppose, if that's possible with Plecs.

So, anyone know what I bought?

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/507/Pleco7.jpg

I'm not sure but planetcatfish is the best place to post that question. They actually have a special thread for ids. Also you need 2 pics one of its back and one of its tummy area including mouth sucking on the glass. That way you will get the best ID with very little complaints that you need more pics...lol

Crispy
05-18-2010, 12:26 PM
looks to be either hypostomus or ancistrini?? many plecs looks so alike. Like tanks4 said up there, you need a shot of the mouth for proper ID. Dave66 here knows a ton about plecs. shoot him a pm.

VoidParadigm
05-18-2010, 01:34 PM
lol. It's taken me six months just to get this shot. :lol:

Oh well. Have to move the other of the pair probably later today, so I'll try and do it with a clear bowl or something to get that underside shot.

JCheco
05-19-2010, 01:13 AM
Looks like it might be a clown pleco but can't give a 100% on that

smaug
05-19-2010, 01:34 AM
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/7475/product.web
looks alot like this one to me.Softer body skin without the more heavy armor of a clown.

VoidParadigm
05-19-2010, 01:40 AM
Just the one fin/tail band. More spots, the "bands" mine have are more mottled than the stripes you can plainly see on the common Clown and Tiger species.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. That does narrow it down, if slightly!

Didn't wind up moving the other one today, will try and get a shot of the mouth tomorrow.

VoidParadigm
06-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Well, this is really a carppy photo, but we'll see if anyone can see the mouth well enough. =\ They've been really unco-operative when it comes to photos in the past month.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/507/mouth.jpg

VoidParadigm
06-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Bump-a-lump.