PDA

View Full Version : Java fern emersed

Obelisk
05-17-2010, 05:51 AM
I'm interested in growing java fern (as well as some other species) emersed. I've read that java ferns are usually found along rivers and waterfalls. So does it need to be exposed to moving water even in an emersed setup, or has anyone here had success with setting it up on stagnant water? Thanks for any advice.

Jacko
05-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Doesn't need to be next to running water necessarily, but the area needs to be highly humid and I'd recomend misting the plant at least once a day, otherwise they tend to dry up.

Lady Hobbs
05-17-2010, 01:24 PM
There are hundreds of kinds of ferns but I don't know as those that grow in the woods are Java. Those go dorminate in the winter months and reproduce in the spring. Java's are tropical but then I don't know your location. Doesn't cost anything to try it.

annageckos
05-17-2010, 01:27 PM
I have had java ferns grow out of the water, but part that is out of water always end up dieing. I would say give it a shot, but keep it at 100% humidity.

SunSchein89
05-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Yeah, you need really humid conditions for this, but I'm pretty sure it can work. Java moss is supposed to be really good for this too, I'm looking into using it for the water section in my dart frog tank.

Obelisk
05-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to be trying this in a 10 gallon with sheets of plexiglass covering the top. I'm going to try to grow Anubias nana and Cryptocoryne wendtii emersed as well (in the same tank).