PDA

View Full Version : I have 2 RBP and they keep eating the plecos!!!!

wlogan
05-17-2010, 04:04 AM
I have a 55 gal tank with 2 RBP and it is in need of an algea eater. I have tried a few different types of plecos and they just eat them within a few hours. Is there any species that they will not bother or any other algea eater that would be ok???

toddnbecka
05-17-2010, 04:34 AM
Maybe a couple of nerite snails; other fish are the RBP's normal diet.

Northernguy
05-17-2010, 04:36 AM
I thought they ate snails too!lol
There are no algae eaters for that tank.Scrubbers with water changes works well.
Make sure you block the sunlight from your tank too.

rich311k
05-17-2010, 10:15 AM
I think you will have to be the algae cleaner. Try to keep light to a minimum.

gm72
05-17-2010, 10:43 AM
I always propose that we try to figure out why the algae is a problem in the first place instead of getting an algae. Have we tried to solve the problem first?

Lady Hobbs
05-17-2010, 11:31 AM
I have no algae eaters in two of my tanks. I wipe the inside glass now in then with paper towel and use a scrubber or razor blade when needed.

wlogan
05-18-2010, 01:12 AM
i am doing some what of a beginner aquascape with this tank so i need the high output lighting, i guess from what you all are saying thats not a good idea with piranhas...the plants i have so far are doing really well, the only issue is the algea growing on the inside of the glass...any ideas?

Northernguy
05-18-2010, 01:21 AM
Is the tank getting direct sunlight?
What type of plants? Substrate? What have you added to the tank?
Got any pics? They would also help.
I agree with gm this thread should have an algae issue title.You would have better results.

annageckos
05-18-2010, 01:38 AM
It is simple, just wipe the algea off the glass. RBP will eat anything you put in there with them. If you get your lighting/ferts and CO2 in order you should not have problems with algea.

Red
05-18-2010, 02:46 AM
Agreed, just get a algae remover and ddo it while you are vaccuming the tank, they wont bite.

30gallongal
10-03-2010, 08:37 PM
our p tank has lava rock in it, and we made multiple caves and hideaways. a golden? algae eater lives somewhere back there... but we've still got to scrape the algae off the glass by hand. and yes, the pirahnas are supposed to eat snails, but theyll only go for them if they are a pretty tasty size.

i still dont reccomend snails, though, unless you really want a lot of them. they breed like crazy.

Dave66
10-03-2010, 09:38 PM
You do realize RBP reach a foot long, 16 inches when kept in tanks a good deal larger than yours, and sooner or later one will eat the other? Foot-long fish the mass of a piranha is a bit too large for a 55 gallon.

Snails only proliferate when one overfeeds the tank.

Dave

Gisela
10-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Sorry, if this is a dumb question. What is a RBP?

toddnbecka
10-05-2010, 03:54 AM
Red bellied piranha.

HomaridNoob6
10-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Read the sticky in the plants section about balanced planted tanks, then think about it a second. I'm not trying to criticize, I'm telling you something i took into consideration recently that totally helped. Gm72 also said it in this thread already. Address why the algae is occurring. In my case I was giving too much light and nutrients and the plants couldn't use it. I added some c02 and my algae is no longer proliferating, but my plants are.

Anyway so if our piranhas have already figured out they can kill plecos, there really isn't much that's tougher you can put in with them. Red bellies are best kept in tanks as single species only really. Don't let their reputation turn ou off though, you can clean the tank easily. Just make sure to protect yourself the first few times so you know what to expect. They can bite like a razor, but are more timid than you might think and will probably just hide from you.

You don't need an algae eater honestly, it's not a requirement for your tank to be algae free.

EDIT: I looked through the thread again, and I'm not sure now whether we're talking about red bellied pacu, or red bellied piranha. So, which is it?

Gisela
10-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks Toddnbecka for helping a Greenhorn!:hmm3grin2orange: