PDA

View Full Version : Plants from a lake?

coolingeffect
05-16-2010, 08:27 PM
There is a lake close to my house that has some seriously cool looking plants in it. Ive never seen anything quite like them in a store and was wondering if it would be adviseable to take a couple of them. I talked to the game and fish dept here and they said it wasnt a problem to take em as they were not native. The water gets cold in the winter (about 18" of ice on top) so im not sure if they will even survive in a tropical environment but id like to give it a try. Anything i should do to prep them for aquarium life? Im not overly concerned with the small snails that might tag along as i figure they will likely end up being a food source for dwarf cichlids or angelfish. I used to get them for free from the lfs and my kribs busted them up and it really brought out some impressive color in them.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-16-2010, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't recommend throwing them right into your tank immediately. You don't want them to bring in something that will devastate your aquarium stock. There are a couple of options for disenfecting them. One is using a bleach dip and the other is a soak in a Potassium Permanganate solution. Either would be a good idea. The Potassium Permanganate solution is the most common among hobbyists due to it being less harmful to the plants.

tanks4thememories
05-16-2010, 11:03 PM
I wouldn't recommend throwing them right into your tank immediately. You don't want them to bring in something that will devastate your aquarium stock. There are a couple of options for disenfecting them. One is using a bleach dip and the other is a soak in a Potassium Permanganate solution. Either would be a good idea. The Potassium Permanganate solution is the most common among hobbyists due to it being less harmful to the plants.

Good point!! When I collected some stuff from a local stream a few years ago I used Potassium Permanganate and I also quarantined them for a few weeks before putting them into my main tank. They were beautiful, and everything went well, but they were high light so they only lasted maybe 6 months or so. I plan on going back again this year and maybe taking a outdoor aquatic plant guide this time...lol

korith
05-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Agree with the above 2 posters. I use potassium permanganate to deal with pests on the plants. One word of warning with the permanganate you want to wear gloves and old clothing, if you get it on anything it'll turn purple. Including your hands.