PDA

View Full Version : Would these be a decent plant light?

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2007, 01:45 PM
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/10927/product.web

I was thinking of getting the dual light (5th one down) but wondering if this would be sufficient lighting for a 29 gallon tank. I want it bright enough of plants but don't want to blind the fish, either.

Thanks for looking.

Algenco
05-25-2007, 01:50 PM
That would be 28 watts on a 29 gal, low light plants only

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2007, 01:56 PM
OK. I was afraid of that. I remain confused with the T-5 lights. I thought altho they might be only a low wattage, that much more light is put out from them. I have seen fixtures for 65 watt so guess I need to stick with those but they seem awful bright for my fish.

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Just got this info from the net. Too much info just causes more confusion!

Avoid grow-lights, which will not only make your fish look oddly colored, but will also cause algae blooms.

Watch the plants in the tank to determine whether your lighting is adequate. If the plants are growing, there's enough light; if the algae is growing out of control, there's too much light.

According to everything else I've read, you need to consider the type of plants you have as well. Just adding 3 watts per gallon will not work if you have low light plants or crypts. Sounds as you need to figure out what type of plants you want first and then pick your lights accordingly. I have been looking at lights for a month and no closer to figuring them out as I was a month ago! :(

Algenco
05-25-2007, 02:24 PM
I've had the same thoughts.enough lights to grow plants would require sunglasses for the fish.

I believe your like me, my tanks are for fish, I want plants to benefit the fish

hungryhound
05-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Just got this info from the net. Too much info just causes more confusion!

Avoid grow-lights, which will not only make your fish look oddly colored, but will also cause algae blooms.

Watch the plants in the tank to determine whether your lighting is adequate. If the plants are growing, there's enough light; if the algae is growing out of control, there's too much light.

According to everything else I've read, you need to consider the type of plants you have as well. Just adding 3 watts per gallon will not work if you have low light plants or crypts. Sounds as you need to figure out what type of plants you want first and then pick your lights accordingly. I have been looking at lights for a month and no closer to figuring them out as I was a month ago! :(

I would say that this theory is only correct.

The biggest problem with growing plants is finding the balance in your tank. There are three main factors that go into growing plants: Lighting, Fertilizer, and CO2.(this is what makes it a challange)

You have to find a balance for these otherwise you will have algae blooms.

The plants that you choose will determine how much light you need and the lights that you choose will determine your fertilizer and CO2 requirements.

Higher watts per gallon are not bad, but they require more CO2 and Fertilization.

If you are not going to do any ferts or CO2 you should be able to get away with these lights.

I am actually planning on a 30 gallon (36 x 12 x 16) with this exact light. i would get the 46 watt 36 inch version of it though.

I don't think that it will be enough for high light plants, but that is okay with me. The plants that I have choosen are:

Anubis Berti : nana
Anubis berti: coffee anubis
Java Fern
Crypt (sorry cannot remember the scientific name off the top of my head)
taiwan Moss
marsilea minuta (ground cover, hopefully this will be able to grow)

I may try and throw some of my water sprite and a little anacharis in there to help soak up nutrients while my other plants get established, and then take it out in a couple of months

I am going to do DIY CO2 and dose ferts sparingly, to help plant growth, but it may not be necessary.

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2007, 03:19 PM
I are totally in agreement here. I have tanks for fish....not plants. The plants I do have are for my fish and not for me altho I think they definately add to the look of the tank. And fish live within plants so it's more natural to them. But I don't want to have lights that are so bright that my fish are stressed and unable to escape from blinding light all day.

Many fish are deeper water fish and don't care for lights so bright so it's really a balancing act to find what pleases fish and what plants you can have.

Right now I have two hood lights, both with aqua lights sitting on this one 29 gallon. Wattage between the two are 36 watts but are VERY bright and my fish are hiding from it all day (angels) behind the driftwood. They are not appreciating these lights!

I think if a person goes with the higher wattage they should have large plants, as well, so some shady areas are supplied. And used in a large tank! Mine are small plants so the light is pretty blaring.

I may go ahead and order that light and if more is needed, use one of my hood lights in addition. In all good conscious, I just refuse to spend a small fortune on lights for a 29 gallon tank. Heck, I refuse to spend a fortune on any one tank! LOL

hungryhound
05-25-2007, 03:31 PM
One note on that light Lady Hobbs. They are really small and compact so adding another one would not be a problem if needed. There are basically the length of your tank x 2" x 1". They are very space conscience.

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Good! Do you think for my 29 gallon I should just get the one bulb deal then or get the two bulb as I had intended?

hungryhound
05-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Good! Do you think for my 29 gallon I should just get the one bulb deal then or get the two bulb as I had intended?

It really depends on what you want to do in terms of plants. Decide on that and then decide what light you want to get.

With that being said here is how I view the difference between the one light fixture and the dual fixture.

The 24 inch t5 is only 14 watts. I would bet that your old light gives off that much light making it really a wash to upgrade your light.

By getting the dual light fixture you would be getting 28 watts of light.

So my advice is if you are going to upgrade your lights get the two light fixture

http://akamai.edeal.com//images/catalog3684/folder24579/img3040061.jpg

Notice that it has two on off switches which will allow you to only have one bulb on if you like as well. For the added 10 bucks you can hae the option of one or two. To me that makes it worth it.

Plus
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18360/si1379084/cl0/coralifefwt5aqualightdoublestriplight24

it is a 1.50 cheaper.

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2007, 04:26 PM
YOU ARE AWESOME! Thank you so much! I will stick with ThatPetPlace, tho, as I have other things I need to order and can't find them at BigAl's.......like glass canopies!

Thanks so much HH for all your help!!!!!! :1luvu:

hungryhound
05-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Your welcome. It is the least I could do after all of the help that you have given me.

I did however find an alternative. forget changing bulbs. Go with LED lighting.:wink2: :wink2:

https://www.pfolighting.com/solaris-buy-now.aspx

http://www.solarisled.com/Portals/0/Images/solaris_home_image.jpg:wink2:

Algenco
05-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Cool!! only $2300 for a 48" fixture:thumb:

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Wow. See why I wrote in another thread I wanted to be rich!!!!!

hungryhound
05-26-2007, 03:03 AM
Hobbs- I need to correct an earlier post.

It appears that the picture Big Al's used of the light was of the 48in light and that is the one that has two switches. I just purchased the 36in version and it only has one switch.

Hopefully you can forgive me for this mishap, once again this shows that one should always be leery of an internet source.

Sorry

Lady Hobbs
05-26-2007, 03:19 AM
Better yet IMO. One less thing to plug into my already full power strip!!!

hungryhound
05-26-2007, 03:46 AM
Better yet IMO. One less thing to plug into my already full power strip!!!

Whew.....glad I don't need a wooden spoon protector!

Chrona
05-26-2007, 06:32 AM
Just got this info from the net. Too much info just causes more confusion![/FONT]

I think HH has covered most of your questions, but I just wanted to point out that a spectrum that suits algae also suits plants. Grow lights most certainly do not cause algae blooms by themselves. In fact, with the proper spectrum, they allow plants to better outcompete algae. However, you should still avoid them because they are expensive, and 6700k-10000k full spectrum bulbs will work just as well for less.

The second part is essentially correct, but it greatly depends on the type of algae. Also, there is no such thing as too much light (to a reasonable degree, not talking 10w/g here), just too little nutrients/CO2. Sunlight has a much higher intensity and equivalent lumen output that the majority of fixtures used for planted tanks.