PDA

View Full Version : Wild Moss

twiggie
05-15-2010, 03:05 PM
I was hanging out in the river at the national forest yesterday looking for new rocks and driftwood for my tank. I found a huge patch of stones covered in some sort of wild moss and got to thinking that maybe I could put it in my tank. Thought I would ask the pros about it before I just dumped a random plant in my tank. Does anyone here know if I can use that moss or is the risk of some wild hitch hiker coming along more than I really need to deal with? Thanks in advance guys.

Lady Hobbs
05-15-2010, 03:19 PM
That would be bog moss, not aquatic moss. You don't want to use it, I'm sure.

Red
05-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Everything from the wild can have a bad hitchhiker, you should QT it before you put it in your tank, and you should make sure you can take it with the laws in your state.

Northernguy
05-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Have you got a quarantine tank?
It would make doing that a lot safer.More then likely there will be some sort of hitch hiker on it.

annageckos
05-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Can you get some photos of it? Was it completely submerged? It may be some type of algea. Anything you take from the wild can have good and bad hitchhikers on it.

twiggie
05-16-2010, 03:51 PM
I'll have to get a picture of it next time I go out there. It's usually fully submerged but I've also seen it partially exposed and doing well.
It's kinda fluffy and almost looks like java moss.
I don't have a quarantine setup yet but it's in the works.

ryan81986
07-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Also be careful removing items from national parks/forests. In certain areas it is a federal offense to remove rocks and similar items.