PDA

View Full Version : Beginner to C02 Sytems for Small Tanks, Advice Please?

AdrienDeLaChicago
05-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Hey, everyone. I've really developed an affinity for live planted tanks. I have small tanks. They're called the book shelf tank and they're sold at Petco. It's 6.6 gallons. it's roughly 22" long and about 7" tall, and about 5" deep. I've invested in plants like creeping Jenny, Rotala rotundifolia, narrow leaf Anubias, Cryptocoryne Wendtii, banana plant, Amazon Swort Compacta. I have 5 of these tanks and let's just say they now look like aquatic forests.

I was wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction for CO2? Since my tanks are so small is it possible to use liquid C02? I'm not referring to plain old carbon. I am talking about one product in particular called:

Natural Aquarium Vital and the link for it is:
https://www.petsolutions.com/Natural-Aquarium-Vital+I34165000+C13.aspx

And then I saw this which I don't know much about, but maybe someone can comment on its effectiveness? It's called the Plant Gro CO2 System
https://www.petsolutions.com/Plant-Gro-CO2-System+I15517690+C13.aspx

I'm basically sticking with stem plants that I can easily trip at the bottom and simply stick right back into the gravel. I have now have Flourish Excel and may get API's Leaf Zone.

By the way, these are betta tanks with ghost shrimp. Very cool tanks. I have 2.3WPG as far as light and have them on for 12 hours a day.

Hope to get some input from you guys.
Thanks!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Although you do not have a lot of light, you do have a lot of plants and thus your plants would benefit a good deal from CO2 addition. Personally if you are wanting to buy something, I'd go with the Plant Gro system. However there are DIY options available to you. I believe we have at least one of those posted in the DIY section here. If interested you may want to have a look at that.

AdrienDeLaChicago
05-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks a lot GoldBarb, I found some posts per your recommendation. I found a good method that will cost me only pennies to get this going.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Glad to help.