PDA

View Full Version : Plant Test kit?

Trillianne
05-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Ok so, I know that my plants need some help. They are all growing, but the offshoots and new growth seems pale. I have some potential ideas (based on the posts here)on what this may be, but I need to get try either new light or run some tests to find out more. Either way its a trip to the lfs for me.

I have my API master test kit for PH, Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites. I know they sell Phosphate and Carbonate kits separately.

Is there a "Master Planted Tank" kit?
If not... which are the "most important" things to test for to diagnose my ailing plants?

rich311k
05-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Nitrate the other tests for plant nutrients are not worth the money. You may have a light problem.

Lady Hobbs
05-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Are you using ferts of any kind? Sound like a nutrient problem to me. But rich's thoughts on your lights are very important.

Zilla
05-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Ok so, I know that my plants need some help. They are all growing, but the offshoots and new growth seems pale. I have some potential ideas (based on the posts here)on what this may be, but I need to get try either new light or run some tests to find out more. Either way its a trip to the lfs for me.

I have my API master test kit for PH, Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites. I know they sell Phosphate and Carbonate kits separately.

Is there a "Master Planted Tank" kit?
If not... which are the "most important" things to test for to diagnose my ailing plants?

Here's a list of possible symptoms and possible fixes. Read each one carefully as some of them overlap or have similar descriptions.

Meh! It would help of I posted the link... http://www.aquariumplantsandsupplies.com/blog/aquarium-tips/identifying-aquarium-plant-deficiencies/

Trillianne
05-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Are you using ferts of any kind? Sound like a nutrient problem to me. But rich's thoughts on your lights are very important.

I have dosed my water changes with the measure (maybe slightly less because I was trying to err on the side of caution) of Seachem Flourish it described on the bottle for the past two weeks. My lfs shops don't sell the tabs, just liquid although the non-box store offers specific nutrient additives.

The light was on my list of things to change to see if that was an issue, since the light itself is old.

Sadly the nearest fish store is 20 to 30 minutes away(depending on traffic), so I figured asking about testing and being prepared would hopefully save me a few trips.

Trillianne
05-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Here's a list of possible symptoms and possible fixes. Read each one carefully as some of them overlap or have similar descriptions.

Meh! It would help of I posted the link... http://www.aquariumplantsandsupplies.com/blog/aquarium-tips/identifying-aquarium-plant-deficiencies/

Thanks for the link Zilla.

I'm thinking its either the light, or possibly Iron as my "most likely cause" from your link and the sticky from Fishalicious.

I wasn't looking so much for "diagnose my plants for me please" as a best practice to find out what's wrong. Which from the replies it seems like its primarily diagnose your plant growth > test for or treat what you believe is the issue.

I confess I was kind of hoping for a "this super dupe test kit will diagnose what you have wrong all for $5!" but alas..... such is not to be. :lol:

Trillianne
05-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Well I started with a changed out light.

I did not see any Iron testing kits on the shelf while I was there. (Lots of other things though!) so I did not pick up anything else this time around.

Figure I'll give it a bit with a different light first.

Wild Turkey
05-16-2010, 01:43 AM
Red Sea makes an Iron test kit but I had to go online for mine.

rich311k
05-16-2010, 01:46 AM
For what it is worth iron and phosphate kits are not very accurate. If you add some type of trace fert you will have enough iron, better to go by the plants than to try and test for it.