PDA

View Full Version : Might be a silly question

Bdj470
05-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Is there anyway to tell other then using a test kit to tell if beneficial bacteria is growing in the tank?

I have this white stuff growing on my air tubing and also on the heater suction cups. I can see it moving with the flow of the water in the tank. Just wondering what it might be.

Zilla
05-14-2010, 09:33 PM
No test for BB.

Is it stringy? Slimy? Hard? Something else?

annageckos
05-14-2010, 10:03 PM
The white stuff is not BB, you can't see the BB. It may be some kind of worm or even hydra. I have gotten these little tiny worm type things in my tanks before, they never hurt anything and always went away in time.

jimw/oscar
05-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Is there anyway to tell other then using a test kit to tell if beneficial bacteria is growing in the tank?

I have this white stuff growing on my air tubing and also on the heater suction cups. I can see it moving with the flow of the water in the tank. Just wondering what it might be.

The only 'test' is when ammonia then nitrites drop.

BiGBlak
05-14-2010, 10:14 PM
ive had that aswell on my suction cups and air tubing and my fish eat it . not too sure if it may be a type of BB

Brhino
05-14-2010, 10:19 PM
could be a fungus, especially if the fish are eating it.

tanks4thememories
05-14-2010, 10:24 PM

Ammonia converted into Nitrite proves one type and Nitrite converted into Nitrate proves the other type. So the presence of Nitrates is assumed to prove that both BB are present....lol Otherwise a microscope is the only way.

In an older tank the clear thin film is a bacteria biofilm which has BB in it. The stuff you are describing is white so I would guess it inst Biofilm. Sounds like fungus/mold.

Bdj470
05-15-2010, 12:17 AM
No test for BB.

Is it stringy? Slimy? Hard? Something else?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

There are no fish in the tank. I am tryin to perform a fishless cycle but so far unsuccesful.

If I touch the air tubing it feels slimy. And the stuff growing looks flakey.

There are spots on the tubing what looks like if green household mold were to grow but the spots are white. And this stuff is only appearing on the tubing, suction cups.

If this is mold. Am I going to have to completely drain the tank and give it a good cleaning?

BiGBlak
05-15-2010, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

There are no fish in the tank. I am tryin to perform a fishless cycle but so far unsuccesful.

If I touch the air tubing it feels slimy. And the stuff growing looks flakey.

There are spots on the tubing what looks like if green household mold were to grow but the spots are white. And this stuff is only appearing on the tubing, suction cups.

If this is mold. Am I going to have to completely drain the tank and give it a good cleaning?
i dont think you would have to clean that . i believe that the slimey feel is from you water conditioner especially if it API Water Conditioner or Stress Coat. for some reason that does that to the water but prime doesnt .

Lady Hobbs
05-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Your tank is going thru it's cycle. Water chemistry is goofed up when a tank is not yet cycled and going thru many changes. As already mentioned in your other thread, just wipe the glass down.

Bdj470
05-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Your tank is going thru it's cycle. Water chemistry is goofed up when a tank is not yet cycled and going thru many changes. As already mentioned in your other thread, just wipe the glass down.

Thank you Lady Hobbs.

I will wipe down the glass. Will it be ok to wipe down the tubing also or just leave it alone for now?

korweabo0
05-15-2010, 02:02 AM
Thank you Lady Hobbs.

I will wipe down the glass. Will it be ok to wipe down the tubing also or just leave it alone for now?

wipe everything. you can't be too cautious.