PDA

View Full Version : Non-Tropical Fish

Arowanabee2
05-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Is it possible to keep fish like Bream or Largemouth Bass in an aquarium?:help:

Bristley
05-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Yes, I believe that some people do keep fish like that in aquariums but if that is something that you're considering I think you would definitely have to do research as to what the fish need as far as feeding and space (tank size) are concerned. I would imagine a large-mouth bass would need quite a large tank.

Also, you should probably check with your states DNR as there may be special rules about keeping fish like that. It may not even be allowed in your state (I don't know, but it's definitely something to look into).

annageckos
05-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Yes it is possible. But first you need to check your state and county laws to make sure it is legal. Bass will need a very large tank, and even sunfish will need a 55+ depending on species. Also keep in mind that a lot of them are very aggressive and bass can eat anything they can fit in thier mouth.

mermaidwannabe
10-11-2010, 04:38 AM
Your state might require you to obtain a collector's permit before collecting wild specimens. I know that can be the case for saltwater tidal pool specimens, and it might apply to freshwater wild fish, as well. You'll need to research the legalities.

Keeping bass and other wild fish I would think would be pretty cool. Just learn well how to care for them.

--mermaidwannabe

SmokeyCFH
10-11-2010, 05:47 AM
I had a large mouth bass, bluegill, sunfish, carp, channel cats and I currently have a bullhead cat all caught in a lake or pond and transfered to my tanks, it's always possible.

toddnbecka
10-11-2010, 08:52 AM
I have some SA cichlids from Paraguay that prefer cooler water available. Australoheros oblongum, males grow to about 5", females more like 3-4". Winter temps down into the 50's are normal for them, and they're easier to get along with than more aggressive species like bluegills. You can keep an established pair in a 20L w/out any problems, something you won't be able to do with most native species.

dccruibay5
12-27-2010, 04:22 AM
why not .i ever did like this and there is nothing wrong with them
but i find they like more space so your aquarium should be as big as possible

fishsafari
01-12-2011, 12:25 AM
I know a couple of people with Bream in their tank. Theirs are hyperagressive.

J-Rod
02-15-2011, 03:14 AM
ive kept bluegills before. theyre good fish cause they stay smaller. i just fed him minnows.

UncleWillie
02-15-2011, 02:36 PM
LMB need enormous tanks, a lot of food. 'Bream' can be any number of things, so you have a lot you can choose from. What is going to determine what kind of fish you want to keep will be dependent on tank size. Many sunfishes are aggressive, but there are exceptions. Bluegill are hardly small and are the second largest Lepomis sp. with redear sunfish being the largest. Next you have pumpkinseed, redbreast, and green sunfish - all of which can be found in NC if you wish to collect your own. However, all these fish are large, and aggressive (with redbreast and greens being more so). If you have a 75+ gallon tank, you could have these guys. There are also mid-range sunfish like black/redspotted sunfish and warmouth. If your tank is 55 gallons or less, you'd need smaller sunfish (some variant of longear, dollar, bantam, orangespotted, etc). Dollars are very aggressive, longears less so, and o-spot and bantam are very docile. I have done business with Brian Zimmerman before, and he is your source for buying Sunfishes. Check him out here http://zimmermansfish.com/ and see what sunfishes you like. He will give you more than enough info if you contact him.

skullduggery1
02-15-2011, 02:47 PM
By bream you ,you mean bluegill,Or the eastern european fish?(Abramis brama) Because gills are not in the bream family.If so, the gills and bass can be kept in large aquariums,but check local laws,keeping some natives requires permits in certain states.

UncleWillie
02-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Local jargon tends to cause confusion - "bream" is often used interchangeably with sunfish in the South. Growing up and living in the South, everyone goes 'bream fishing' - We used this term mostly meaning we were bluegill and redear (but can include warmouth, redbreast and green sunfish) fishing. Bream is a term used many places though, like Europe. In my travels to Zimbabwe, most people use the term bream referring to many species of Tilapia. This is why scientific names are so important.