PDA

View Full Version : Pleco health question

tmcmullen
05-14-2010, 02:18 AM
I purchased a Red Tail Sternella (AKA Leopard Pleco/Leopard Cactus Pleco) L114 two weeks ago. He is in a quarantine tank and since I paid a pretty penny for him I'm watching his health like a hawk. I'm a little concerned that I never see him move from his favorite spot in the tank, but yet I do see strings of poop in the mornings, so he must be moving and eating at some point.

I noticed today when I finally got a glimpse of his under belly that above his anus he/she has a lighter colored spot that is only about 1-2 cm. He is only 2 inches long right now. Should I be concerned about the spot? I startled him today and his whole body turned a pale color, but eventually the color came back.

I had a gold nugget pleco that didn't make it and just before he died I noticed his body was turning a grey color like he was completely losing color. Until then I didn't notice anything wrong with him. I don't want to lose another expensive pleco!

thanks!

tmcmullen
05-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Update: I checked on him at 10pm and he was moving around the tank, and then again at 6am I saw him moving. I guess it's just that our hours clash!

VoidParadigm
05-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Probably fine. They shouldn't move much during the day, and my two never come out of their caves until dinner.

Both the ones I have (unidentified species, though) are juveniles and have pale stomachs. Most juvies of any species I've seen have pale stomach spots.

As for the other one that died, it just sounds like stress when it became sick. All fish color down or turn black when stressed/sick, and even scared.

tmcmullen
05-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Thank you VoidParadigm. It's nice to know that the pale spot on the stomach is normal. I've been trying harder to catch him moving about in the evening and I have been able to observe him in different spots in the tank. The bristle nose I got at the same time is very active during the day and is a GREAT algae eater.

Lady Hobbs
05-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Is that quarantine tank cycled?

tmcmullen
05-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Yes, the tank was up and running for a few weeks prior to adding new fish, and I used gravel from the main tank to help cycle it. I tested all of the parameters before getting the new fish. They've been in that tank 3 wks now.