PDA

View Full Version : is frozen green beans good enough

rookie
05-14-2010, 01:34 AM
i just recently discovered bn pleco fry in my tank. i was told to drop in some canned green beans to feed them but when i got home i relized i only had frozen. is frozen good enough

Rue
05-14-2010, 03:42 AM
Green peas...not beans. It also helps if you take the outer coating off the pea and squish it a bit...makes it easier to eat.

Brhino
05-14-2010, 03:51 AM
actually plecos like green beans too. Frozen's fine, just thaw them first.

Lady Hobbs
05-14-2010, 03:51 AM
My loaches loved green beans. With the frozen ones, you may have to blanch them or the outside may be too tough for them to eat. Mine also ate broccoli.

Rue
05-14-2010, 03:19 PM
...really? Beans are on the no-no list for something though!

I'll have to check...

Rue
05-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Well, didn't have time to read through all the info. in detail...maybe later...

But in short - raw beans, including green beans, are toxic.

I suppose freezing them releases the toxins making them safe, as cooking does...

Some info. here:

http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/real%20letters/ltr_greenbeans.html

Brhino
05-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Raw green beans are a regular part of my diet.

That site you listed isn't the most scientific looking place. If you keep checking the google links, apparently there's a lot of regular people that think they're toxic (especially in europe, apparently), but I've yet to find a real scientific document that says they are. In the mean time, there's lots of people that eat lots of raw green beans and seem to come out okay.

According to wikipedia, there is a toxin present in beans, Phytohaemagglutinin, but it's only toxic in high concentrations, but only raw kidney beans have that level of it. Green beans (aka french beans, string beans, or snap beans) look to be completely safe.

Rue
05-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks...I checked Wikipedia first...but thought the discussion was interesting...

VoidParadigm
05-14-2010, 05:35 PM
I know that some beans are toxic to rodents raw, but am pretty sure green beans are fine for you, me, and all our fish. =)

Wild Turkey
05-14-2010, 06:11 PM
I can confirm that raw beans are bad for rodents, probably some other animals as well.

Obviously people and fish are different than rodents, that being said I cant comment because I dont eat raw beans or feed them to my fish.

Researching is definitely the best move.