PDA

View Full Version : Silvertip Tetras

LeJohn23
05-13-2010, 10:14 PM
I purchased 6 Silvertips for my 55 gallon that has 6 Cherry Barbs (3 males, 3 females) and a male Betta. I am still having good luck with the Betta and others. None of the other 12 bother him at all. But I have noticed the Silvertips chasing the female Barbs. I believe all 6 of the Tertas are males, they are bronze, could they be looking for a female to spawn with? Will this stress the Cherry's out?

rothenb1
05-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Silvertip tetras are known to be nippy and chase other fish. If they are chasing the barbs, they will no doubt be stressed out. Try upping the school of silvertips to 10+. If there are more conspecifics, they will most likely leave your other guys alone :)

LeJohn23
05-13-2010, 11:04 PM
I have not noticed any nipping. They swim next to them as if they are trying to spawn with them...

annageckos
05-14-2010, 01:33 AM
Silvertips are highly active semi aggressive tetras, kind of like tiger barbs. They can get nippy. I would up the school to try to keep the aggression in their school. Once they settle in they will probably nip the bettas' fins, I would watch them closely.

LeJohn23
05-14-2010, 03:13 AM
Why can't they all just get along!?!?

rothenb1
05-14-2010, 03:15 AM
Send them to family therapy! :hmm3grin2orange:

LeJohn23
05-18-2010, 05:19 PM
I ended up exchanging the Silvertips for 6 more Cherry Barbs. Things were actually getting worse. I introduced 6 Glowlight Tetras (will add 6 more next week)to the aquarium and the Silvertips would constantly chase them and they would hide in the corner. As soon as the Silvertips were gone the Glowies were schooling all around the tank.

LeJohn23
05-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Well I got rid of one problem and another presents itself. Now that the Glowlights are not afraid to come out, they have decided that the male Bettas fins are something they would like to chase and nip at... Now I have to find a new home for the Betta. Hopefully I can come up with something other than the bowl that he was in before.