PDA

View Full Version : Your recommendation is needed

KK1
05-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Could you tell me the #1 rated plant growing light you have had the most success using? I am in awe at the beautifully landscaped tanks I have seen on this website... thanks alot

rookie
05-13-2010, 04:31 PM
i can only tell you the 1 light that i used. i went to home depot and decided to use a DIY lighting system and for only about $50 i got lighting for a wonderfully planted 110g tank. check this link out http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=lighting

Wild Turkey
05-13-2010, 04:36 PM
GE fixtures with 6700k bulbs bought at the hardware store will grow plants like anything you can buy at the petstore.

If you want really strong lighting problably t5 high output or metal halides

Lady Hobbs
05-13-2010, 05:12 PM
When I started my planted tanks, I bought the coralife fixtures that I felt were wonderful until it was time for replacement bulbs. Somehow, replacing $80 worth of lightbulbs did not appeal to me! I went to Home Depot, as suggested by some of our wonderful growers here, and bought shop lights, added 6700 bulbs and in some cases planted light bulbs.

I have hard water, pH of 7.6, I use NO CO2 and my plants are at the water line and coming out of the tank. My italian vals are growing up the side of the tank and have spread the full length of my tank......18" over the water line in 3 months!

I had algae but one time and that was some that sprung up a month ago (BBA) when my pH took a swing due to city water changes. None since.

You do not have to have lights coming out the wahzoo and CO2 to have a nicely planted tank.

I will be picking up another shop light, 24 inch soon, for my smaller tank. Walmarts has them and the plant bulbs.

Lady Hobbs
05-13-2010, 05:51 PM
oops....before the excitement begans I wanted to add:

If you have tanks running on medium light, you can grow a lot of stuff without much problem and without CO2. The more lights you add, then you will need CO2 and can then grow some of the red plants and those with more color. If you just want an easy to care for planted tank, you can have many plants without the fuss.

Here is one of my low light tanks with a shop light and two 6700 bulbs.