PDA

View Full Version : Think My Boys have Fin Rot. Help? :(

AdrienDeLaChicago
05-13-2010, 04:40 AM
Hey, everyone. From my research it appears that two of my bettas have fin rot. I am a bit perplexed because the water conditions are pretty goo. I tested for everything in terms of nitrates, ammonia..the whole shebang. The only thing I was curious about is that the water is on the alkaline side. Not sure if that makes a difference. The water stays at around a constant 80 degrees. Sometimes it drops to 76 and other times it may go as high as 82 degrees. But that has to do with the lighting for my planted aquariums.

So this is my thing. I've determined that I should use Maracyn and Maracyn II to treat my boys. I will take them out of their 6.6 gallon homes and treat them in 5 gallon buckets. My questions are these:

1. Do I have to do a 100% water change with the tank? I'm happy to do that but I just invested in live plants. Can I keep the plants or will they hold the bacteria? Do I have to replace the gravel or can I wash it? If I can wash it what is the best way? I microwaved my gravel in the past to kill off any and all organisms. It's epoxy coated so it's not like it can hold healthy live cultures.

I guess my main concern is if I have to get rid of everything in the tank. It's just one betta, an algae eater and some ghost shrimp that like to hide in the plants.

Please let me know if my medication selection is advisable and if I should get anything else. I have two bettas that have this problem so I want to treat them and get them back in great shape.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I heard of people using aquarium salt and stress coat. What is the brand of stress coat? I will wait to hear from you guys before I make my online purchase. And if any of you can recommend a good site that is cheap and fast I'd appreciate that too.

I'm so down for my boys. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks.

Adrien

AdrienDeLaChicago
05-13-2010, 04:55 AM
Also wanted to add that my two boys (both in their own separate tank) are still hungry and active and come to me when I walk near the tanks. They have filtered tanks and the tanks have been set up for about 6 weeks.

I don't understand why they got this. I'm perplexed.