PDA

View Full Version : Fire fish not eating!

EmmanuelJB
05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
My fire fish has eaten normal since I got him (April 19th) all until 4-6 days ago. When I first got him I started him off with flakes. He ate well, and I slowly switched over to pellets. At first he would eat 5-6+ pellets every feeding time, and slowly, day by day the number of pellets he consumed dramatically decreased, until he completly stopped eating. Now every time he gets a flake/ pellet in his mouth it pops right back out. Im not really sure what to do... Now he is very inactive and mostly sits on the bottom of the tank. What should I do??? Tommorrow we a going the 3 hour drive to the petstores and I will be picking up some frozen foods, but I really don't think that will help, because the food just pops out as soon as it gets in his mouth. Anyway, speaking of frozen food, what do I get? I have actually never seen it at the pet store, I am going to I just know they have it.

Please help!!

MCHRKiller
05-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Whats your water parameters? Have you added anything to the tank or done any WCs recently?

The inactivity is actually far more concerning that a fish spitting out food.

Some good frozen foods for small fish are brine shrimp enriched with spirulina, mysis(small pieces) and marine blend frozen foods. Some live brine would also be welcomed.

EmmanuelJB
05-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Whats your water parameters? Have you added anything to the tank or done any WCs recently?

The inactivity is actually far more concerning that a fish spitting out food.

Some good frozen foods for small fish are brine shrimp enriched with spirulina, mysis(small pieces) and marine blend frozen foods. Some live brine would also be welcomed.
Water parimeters are fine, nothing has been added to the tank, last water change was Friday. My fire fish seems to get VERY stressed out during water changes... Maybe that has somthing to do with it, im really not sure.

Northernguy
05-13-2010, 12:05 AM
Try mixing some food with some minced garlic.Coat the food in some juice.Not so much that the tank will smell.lol
Its great for fighting internal parasites.It also is a flavor the fish may like.

EmmanuelJB
05-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Try mixing some food with some minced garlic.Coat the food in some juice.Not so much that the tank will smell.lol
Its great for fighting internal parasites.It also is a flavor the fish may like.
I am feeding NLS which is already loaded with garlic right?

Also I don't think its that he isn't interested in the food. He keeps trying to get it, but it keeps poping back out once its in his mouth.

MCHRKiller
05-13-2010, 02:58 AM
Firefish are very sensitive to nitrate IMO, if yours are over 10ppm that could be an added stressor.

onefastx
05-13-2010, 01:36 PM
I know it is a different fish all together but, my fiance had this issue with a dotty back. It would come out to eat then spit out the food and hide. We thought he was scared so we would then feed and hide around the corner and this didn't fix the problem. We went to our lfs and he suggested to feed frozen meaty foods along with the pellets, and bam pediddle came out started eating and has been a happy and now getting pushy fish.