PDA

View Full Version : Ruh-Roh

Mark Lathrop
05-24-2007, 11:09 PM
My cory's just had babies. I just learned to cycle my tank and now I have baby cory's swimming all over my tank!! What the heck do I do now?! It'd be SO hard to net these suckers. Plus I feel like a murderer as the first time I noticed one was when I was dumping my syphoned water down the drain (I was in the process of cleaning my tank). I thought to myself, fish poop doesn't swim upstream. Ruh-roh, ruh-roh indeed.

Questions: Good water conditions for them? What do I feed these guys? The filter is kinda strong, what if they get sucked in?

I have a 2.5 gallon tank laying around. Should I net them and put them in there? I have a spare whisper filter too. I heard you should nylon the intake so they don't get sucked in or something from somehwhere.

Crap guys. Seriously. What are my cory's thinking gettin' all jiggy with it in my tank for without my permission?!

Rue
05-24-2007, 11:34 PM
CONGRATS!!! You fish-farmer you! :D

I'd let them grow up in your tank...enjoy watching them...everyone loves corys...I imagine they'd be fairly easy to rehome...

...can you buy infusoria?

Mark Lathrop
05-25-2007, 12:20 AM
I might sound like a tool, but what's infusoria? :14:

I just netted them and placed them into the 2.5 gallon tank since they need ultra clean water according to the article on this webpage. I conditioned it to match the 10g tank they were born in, and I started the temp out the same and am going to slowly adjust it to about 75 deg. f. I'm off to the pet store now to get some fish food for them. :) We have 10total in the tank now, used to be 11 but one of them has died. :(

Mark Lathrop
05-25-2007, 03:18 AM
Welp, my current setup is 2.5 gallon tank with 11 babies. I just fed them some babies first hikari food and dropped some baby brine shrimp in there. I have to do a 50% water change tonight. I'm running a whisper filter on the low setting: http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KYXSWJ4AL._SS500_.jpg and the temperature is a balmy 79 deg. F. No airstone. Would be too powerful a current inside such a small tank, and do more damage than good. I found another fry in the tank and placed it in the quarantine tank. Anything I'm missing? Suggestions? They are peppered corys. I think they ate most of the eggs and fry if I'm not mistaken. I heard some corys can lay hundreds of eggs, and I've only seen 13 fry total.

cocoa_pleco
05-25-2007, 04:43 AM
I bred corys on 2 occasions. one time the stupid Jack dempsey ate the eggs, and one time some lived. You should have at least a 5g, but best a 10g with a sponge filter and heater, no gravel

Drumachine09
05-25-2007, 05:00 AM
Yeah, no gravel, along with 50% water changes a day is good. Use an airline instead of a siphon, because it makes it easier to suck up the little bits of waste, without sucking up the fry.

Ive hear corys are hard to breed. Congratulations.

If you ever need to get rid of them, sling a couple my way! lol

cocoa_pleco
05-25-2007, 05:02 AM
im still mad about what the jack dempsey did. all the eggs were on java fern, and the jack dempsey was sick with bloat. I thought that the jack dempsey would just ignore the eggs on the plant while i temporarily put them in his tank to rush out and get pimafix for the eggs, and 30 min later, a eggless plant. the second batch made it though

Mark Lathrop
05-25-2007, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm afraid I only have a 10g and a 2.5 gallon. I'd be a little afraid to put them back in the 10g tank where the other fish could get at them. Plus they hid too well in the other tank in the gravel. I have no gravel in the 2.5g, and using that tank is the only way I can get them quarantined in any way. I've been using a small net to get the baby brine and did a 50% water exchange. So far so good, except a sponge filter might be a good way to go as even though I've turned the current filter all the way down, and put a nylon thingy over the intake, it still has managed to suck a fry behind the intake piece. Luckily I found him and freed him.

I heard nitrites are lethal to cory fry. Is this true? I'm excited and concerned all at the same time. Drum, I'd gladly send you some baby corys if there's an easy way to get them to you. Maybe when they're a little older and stable (I hope I don't screw this up). I don't have enough room for 15 corys!! I'm setting up a 20g tank for the current fish next month. I just wish they could have waited till I had that setup done so that I could use the 10g for quarantine rather than the current one. Oh well.

The fry appear to be over 5 days old. They hid very well under my big rocks in the tank, so I never even saw them, and barely found them even when looking for them. Some have spots already and they measure about 3-4mm.

kimmers318
05-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Sponge filters are definitely easiest for fry (and shrimp) so that may be the way to go. I haven't been lucky enough to get cory fry, but IMO, you did the right thing by removing them, the other fish probably would have eaten them up. Follow your instincts and keep the water clean, be careful and have fun with the babies!

Mark Lathrop
05-26-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm defintely having fun with the babies! The wife adores them as well. thumbs2:

I have a little one that has such a barely even noticeable dorsal fin. I can't even see a pelvic fin anywhere on him. I'm beginning to wonder if another fish got to him and nipped them off before the transfer, or if he is just underdeveloped. He is the only fish to sit on the bottom of the tank nearly all day long. I've never seen him explore the top of the tank like the other fish, and he's all black unlike the others who all have their spots by now. I took a close look at him this morning and his black color is kind of starting to break up into spots, but I won't be able to tell for sure for another couple of days. Is there a such thing as having a runt fry? What's up with this lil guy?

Total, we have a dozen fry, and all of the fry we pulled out of the tank have survived this long...minus the one that I mentioned earlier that died as soon as I transferred him.

Rue
05-26-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm glad you're enjoying the babies!

Infusoria is a connoction of small life-forms fed to baby fish...

...here's a quick link with a good answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infusoria

Mark Lathrop
06-02-2007, 07:03 PM
I just found another stash of eggs that fugnus took over last night. Is it really bad if the parents got a hold of them and ate them? I'm asking because I have a cory that looks a little under the weather. Steps I should take?

cocoa_pleco
06-02-2007, 08:42 PM
it could be contagious if they ate them. Id say add melafix/pimafix to the tank, and separate the weird acting cory and treat him with melafix/pimafix combo too

Mark Lathrop
06-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks alot for the advice. Will do that asap!

Mark Lathrop
06-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Verdict: Seperated 2 cories into a 2.5g quarantine tank and treated them with some melafix and pimafix. I also treated the other tank. One has pop eye and shortened barbells and seems to barely be hanging on. he gets sideways alot and didn't even put up a fight this morning when I netted him. I'm thinking of putting the other cory back in the other tank as he was just hiding a lot and completly inactivce, but looks *ok* now. My third cory back in the bigger tank just hides all day, but will come out for food. This is getting almost ridiculous now with all of the stuff going on with my fish. It's quite overwhelming...and expensive.

Any other advice maybe?

Mark Lathrop
06-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Damn. Had to euthanize the one with pop eye. He was just an hour or two from passing, so the wife and I eased the passing. :(

troy
06-08-2007, 01:45 AM
There is such a thing as a runt fry. Most breeders have too notice one and if they do, they almost always cull the fry.

Mark Lathrop
06-08-2007, 07:08 PM
There is such a thing as a runt fry. Most breeders have too notice one and if they do, they almost always cull the fry.

Upon close observation last week, I noticed I had 2 runt fry. Both missing a pectoral fin, and one the dorsal as well. I was really pulling for them, and my wife adored them as they had such cute HUGE eyes, and tiny heads. They would worm around the tank looking for food. Unfortunately, they both died 2 days ago within hours of each other. They struggled just moving everywhere they went as they couldn't swim very well. It was sad.

On the other hand though, I have 10 7mm fry. I'm gonna try and post some pictures this weekend. I wonder when they'll start to develope their barbs. They almost look like my platy as fry, minus the spots.

*EDIT* I'm starting to think that these fry really ARE platy's. I only have one platy and had it for about a month, but after doing some research, I heard they can be pregnant for about 4-6 weeks. So maybe it was pregnant when I bought it. At first I figured they were corys due to their color and spots, but their fins resemble the platy too much, along with their poopies. Plus, no barbs yet. I'm confused. :/

troy
06-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Sorry for losses and if they were platy fry they wouldn't be wriggling around, like
you described.