PDA

View Full Version : Is my BN Pleco sick or changing colour?

Daisakura
05-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi there,
Ive recently moved my male BN pleco over to a new tank (which I cycled for ten days and had a guppy in for a week before the move) to stop him breeding with my female - I think two spawns one about a week after the other is enough at the moment! Since Ive moved him his colour has changed to a light yellow/brown colour and Im worried he is sick.

I cant tell if his behaviour has changed much, he never eats alagae tablets or zuchinni like the female and the babies do (at least I havent seen him do it).

I tried moving some month old fry into the same tank as theyll need to end up their eventually due to space issues in current tank but that didnt go well. Only 2 of the ten I moved are still alive after 2 days.

Here are some photos from before and after unfortunately I dont have a clear shot of him before since he spend all his time in the cave with the fry but I do have a shot of JUST after he entered the tank and one of him now which is still changed.

In transition

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/padders/fishies/IMG_2897.jpg

Just entered (I cant remember if it was the same day or a day later)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/padders/fishies/IMG_2899.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/padders/fishies/IMG_2898.jpg

A week later (although this image does make it appear like he is whiter rather than light yellow/brown due to the camera/light)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/padders/fishies/IMG_2907.jpg

Mainly looking at the head in each photo shows the changes more accurately I think. Once again the last shot unfortunately doesnt show the right colours, it is a very, very light brown.

The guppy I have in the tank is very healthy by the way, Im not sure if the BN fry died because the water change was too early for them...

Also I have noticed a white furry substance on the wood in case that helps. It seems to attatch itself to things quick i.e. within 12-24hrs it would be over the cucumber I added to the tank.

Thankyou for any opinions.

waack
05-12-2010, 10:16 AM
im not sure about the colour change with im guessing is your main point. However how did u cycle fishless or with fish and how did u manage to complete a cycle in a week???? do u test the water if so wat are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level??

gabbyguppy
05-12-2010, 11:48 AM
im not sure about the colour change with im guessing is your main point. However how did u cycle fishless or with fish and how did u manage to complete a cycle in a week???? do u test the water if so wat are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level??

Good questions! I'm thinking this tank is not fully cycled and this poor fella is suffering the effects of high ammonia.

A water change might help him feel better.

Karen

Brhino
05-12-2010, 01:36 PM
mine is much younger but his coloration is the same. He is his "normal" coloration most of the time but gets lighter, like yours, when he's stressed. In my case the stress is when I'm doing water changes and messing with his driftwood, and he returns to normal coloration soon after I'm finished. If yours is staying the lighter color I would be worried that he's got a ongoing source of stress. I agree with the other folks that your tank may not actually be cycled.

Northernguy
05-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!

Yopu have a great looking bristle nose.
I do agree that the poor guy is stressed out.That is why its coloring is like that.
What are your perameters?Test the water and post your readings.
What is your tank maintenance like.Water changes how much ,how often?

Daisakura
05-13-2010, 07:10 AM
I'm set to do a water change tomorrow. Do you think 1/4 of the tank should be alright? The tank he is in now is about 70L I believe.

I've been changing the water of the tank he used to be in (55L) every week about 1/4 of the tank. This one is a bit crowded with all the fry so it really does need weekly changing. I actually realised that I added fish too quickly to his first tank (didnt have any bad results at least!), probably gave it 5 days when the store said 3 yet forums say more (confusing much XD), so thats why I gave it about 2 weeks till I changed the BN over to his new tank this time. And yes it has had a couple of medium-large sized plants in it too but I hope to add more.

I admit I havent bought the testing kit as of yet (besides a ph tester) since the pet shop have only had one in stock that was overly elaborate and so expensive I really couldnt afford it. They said they usually have cheaper ones but didnt have any in stock and would call when they were. Im starting to think buying something online might be quicker since that was probably 2-3 weeks ago.

I think I didnt realise it was so important to have the testers right up since Id once had guppies for so long, giving them regular water changes, and never had a noticable water problem with them all living for such a long time. Anyway I shall be altering that plan now!

Would something like this be better to buy (http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=1404)

I probably wouldnt pay attention to hardness, I feel thats not really the problem though correct me otherwise if it is, but am I likely to have problems with nitrite/trate? Is this fixed with water changes also?

Or is ammonia the main problem and get something just for it?

Thankyou for all your help!

P.s. he's a tad darker today for whatever reason, thankgod its not lighter or I would worry myself to death XD

waack
05-13-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm set to do a water change tomorrow. Do you think 1/4 of the tank should be alright? The tank he is in now is about 70L I believe.

I've been changing the water of the tank he used to be in (55L) every week about 1/4 of the tank. This one is a bit crowded with all the fry so it really does need weekly changing. I actually realised that I added fish too quickly to his first tank (didnt have any bad results at least!), probably gave it 5 days when the store said 3 yet forums say more (confusing much XD), so thats why I gave it about 2 weeks till I changed the BN over to his new tank this time. And yes it has had a couple of medium-large sized plants in it too but I hope to add more.

I admit I havent bought the testing kit as of yet (besides a ph tester) since the pet shop have only had one in stock that was overly elaborate and so expensive I really couldnt afford it. They said they usually have cheaper ones but didnt have any in stock and would call when they were. Im starting to think buying something online might be quicker since that was probably 2-3 weeks ago.

I think I didnt realise it was so important to have the testers right up since Id once had guppies for so long, giving them regular water changes, and never had a noticable water problem with them all living for such a long time. Anyway I shall be altering that plan now!

Would something like this be better to buy (http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=1404)

I probably wouldnt pay attention to hardness, I feel thats not really the problem though correct me otherwise if it is, but am I likely to have problems with nitrite/trate? Is this fixed with water changes also?

Or is ammonia the main problem and get something just for it?

Thankyou for all your help!

P.s. he's a tad darker today for whatever reason, thankgod its not lighter or I would worry myself to death XD
the stress is most likely to come from build up of ammonia in an uncycled tank, however if the hardness b/w your 2 tanks varied greatly this also would have added stress to your fish. it is hard to tell wat is stressing the fish out without knowing wats in the water. Seeing as you think the tank cycled in a week im guessing it wasnt, and ammonia/nitrites are stressing your fish. A API master test kit is good comes with everything excpet hardness tests. its could to hear he got a bit darker
EDIT: saw wat you suggested to buy i wouldnt reccomend it test strips are known to be inaccurate liquid tests are better if possible

Daisakura
05-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Actually I said 2 weeks the tank was up and running, how long should it be?

The '5 days' tank was his first tank set up 3 months ago and he didnt have any problems then, its the other tank that is.

And thanks for the tip on the testers!

waack
05-13-2010, 12:14 PM
ok hang on one thing when you say you 'cycled' the tank do u mean u just let the water filter and sit or did u add ammonia and let the benefical bacteria grow??

gabbyguppy
05-13-2010, 12:20 PM
<so thats why I gave it about 2 weeks till I changed the BN over to his new tank this time.>

During that time, did you have any fish in the tank or use a media (ammonia/fish food) to cycle the tank? You must have an ammonia source to feed and establish your 'good' bacteria.

Tests kits are an important part of fish keeping, but water changes are at the top of the list. You probably need to be doing daily water changes when a new tank starts to cycle.

Karen

waack
05-13-2010, 12:28 PM
ok read over all the stuff u added a guppy to the new tank, this was probably not a strong enough ammonia source to get the bacteria growing to suppport your BN check out the ebook http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html it will help you on how to cycle a tank with fish or without if ur willing to take the BN to the other tank for a few weeks

Daisakura
05-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Thankyou for the link! It will be good to get info I can follow from one guide!

Thats probably a good idea putting him back in the other tank... Im just not keen on any more babys and they breed like rabbits, like guppies, like a lot, but its better than stressing the poor thing out. I suppose I can just do something about the eggs before they hatch.

waack
05-14-2010, 12:57 PM
that true and if worst comes to worse and your stuck with a few fry im sure once they are a decent size the LFS will take them off your hands with a nice little sum for yourself:) let me know how it goes ill keep track hope the guide helps

Daisakura
05-15-2010, 02:20 AM
Ive done a 25% water change + added some more plants and I believe he's practically back to his original colour ^_^ so I'll leave him in that tank for the moment. I think its better for him having a break from fry duty, he never really got to hang out on the driftwood or do much moving at all in the other tank it was all about looking after the eggs!

He still wont eat any food I try to give him as usual which I hope just means he is finding enough alage in the tank. He never did eat tablets and veges.

That online book is absolutely fantastic btw. It'll be a great resource to go back to if I ever have any problems with disease etc.

Here's a couple of pics of my female ;p she's a driftwood addict, except when theres alage tablets or zuchinni in the tank of course!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/padders/fishies/IMG_2884.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/padders/fishies/IMG_2909.jpg

And with a fry in it as well

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/padders/fishies/IMG_2902.jpg

Lady Hobbs
05-15-2010, 03:51 AM
That 2 week cycle immediately caught my eye as well as everyone else here. A tank does not cycle by itself and sitting there for two weeks is not cycling. Bottom feeders should never be in an uncycled tank and I would move him back to his other tank or you may loose him.

Daisakura
05-15-2010, 04:20 AM
Yet the book says it is usually ok to start adding fish at 2 weeks? I pretty much followed everything it describes including adding the cycling stuff from pet shops meant to add micro-organisms as well as adding a 'cycling' fish + of course a little food when the fish was in the tank. Sorry for the questioning but Im trying to get an idea of what to do and if the books wrong then how long am I meant to wait...?

I think Im right now though he seems a lot healthier and Ive bought a water testing kit thats in the mail.

waack
05-15-2010, 11:18 AM
im glad the book is helping as soon as you get that test kit test the water if you have any traces of ammonia or nitrite i would suggest putting some other fish in there to cycle the tank and remove the catfish to ensure its survival glad to hear he looks better tho hope it all works out

Daisakura
05-15-2010, 04:37 PM
ty for the help again waack!

waack
05-16-2010, 10:59 AM
thats wat members are here for be sure to post your water parameters when u get them:)

Lady Hobbs
05-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Some of the bac boosters work and some are just a gimic. But regardless of which one you use, they are only an AID in helping with a cycle and help keep toxins from getting too high. You still have to be diligent yourself and test that water and do water changes accordingly.

Bottom feeders should never be in an uncycled tank. Being bottom feeders, they suffer the most. And, a new tank does not have any food for them.