PDA

View Full Version : How do you trade out a fish?

kenyth
05-24-2007, 06:15 PM
When I first set up my aquarium, I bought a Cory Cat. He's darker colored, with large black spots. A good healthy fish. The problem is, he's bigger than I thought he would get. About three inches long. I want to get a couple more Panda cats and remove him so I'm not overstocked. There are no privately owned fish stores around, just larger chain stores. Normally, I would just bring a fish in on trade at the LFS. I don't know anyone else who has an aquarium suitable for this fish. What is their natural lifespan? Anyone live in Granger Indiana?

cocoa_pleco
05-24-2007, 06:16 PM
cory's have an average life of 6-8 years. If you want to sell him, throw a ad on the classified section

Rue
05-24-2007, 10:25 PM
...I'm not sure why you want to get rid of him...the others will get just as big...all types of corys hang out together too...

bscman
05-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Craigslist is free to list on as well, and I seem to get great responses for fish and fish related stuff.

Also, local news papers have free and pets for sale sections. I know my local paper will list free/lost/found items at NO COST for one week...good way to find new homes for fish.

kenyth
05-25-2007, 01:19 PM
...I'm not sure why you want to get rid of him...the others will get just as big...all types of corys hang out together too...

Panda Cory's stay pretty small. You're right though. I don't necessarily want to get rid of him. I just woud like a few more of the smaller light colored Panda Cory's without overcrowding things. I also have dark gravel and the dark cat just doesn't show up well. I probably won't get rid of him. I guess I'm just complaining about my lack of foresight when I bought him.

A340
05-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Worse comes to worse, just go to one of the big pet stores you have in your area and let them adopt the fish. You won't get any money or store credit out of it though.

gm72
05-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Good to hear you are reconsidering your return of your fish. This is also why research prior to purchase is so important. New aquarists don't know this and so please understand I'm not criticizing, but you can help everyone out by mentioning this to everyone new to the site. We have to hit them and hit them hard that information is the key to success!

At any rate (he says after stepping off the soapbox), what is your current stocking level? If you take good care of your aquarium(s) you can afford to be overstocked. Maybe not such a bad thing? I love my corydoras, fun to watch!