PDA

View Full Version : Oranda, Ranchu and Lionhead ? Same ?

qinboxmail
05-11-2010, 05:06 AM
Are they the same ? Or different ? Anyone has pictures of them ? I tried to search on google but it came out to be the same. So I'm confused. :) Thanks

Brhino
05-11-2010, 06:51 AM
check out
http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Goldfish
there's pictures of each type and brief descriptions. The differences are quite subtle in some cases. It's really all just a made-up convention to classify the results of selective breeding, so it's kind of subjective. They're all goldfish!

Lady Hobbs
05-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Read the Goldfish size chart in my signature.

VoidParadigm
05-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Orandas have fleshy growths on the top of their heads, all the usual goldfish fins, and reach sizes of around 8-12'' depending on the strain.

Ranchus should have fleshy but slightly thinner growths over their entire head, have no top fin, often have doubtle-tails, are VERY chubby, and reach about 6'' depending on the strain and how selectively they were bred to follow "Ranchu Rules."

Lionheads define several different selectively bred strains, but basically they should have fleshy, lumpy looking heads. Fins vary strain to strain, as does length and chubbiness. Usually they're Ranchus with abnormally lumpy heads and sometimes the genes for that top fin made their way through.

But still, they're all just Carassius Auratus aka "Goldfish."

If you're looking to buy one they all have the same needs, tank size requirements, temperature, etc. Just go to the store and buy the cutest one. xP