PDA

View Full Version : feeding problem...

ctruz1110
05-24-2007, 10:29 AM
i bought brine shrimp flakes, algae pallets, fish food flakes and frozen bloodworms recently because i heard that this will make them healtier and easier to breed. so, do i give all of them together to my fish or one kind per meal? i feed them 2 times a day. i notice that after feeding my fishes with bloodworms, the water stinks. is it normal?

cocoa_pleco
05-24-2007, 02:09 PM
flakes are daily, bloodworm is 1-2 times per week, and algae pellets once every 2 days.

the stinking could mean that there is rotting food

ctruz1110
05-26-2007, 10:14 AM
last time i only change water 1 to 2 times a month but it doesnt smell this terrible. now i have to do it every 2 days. is it ok?

cocoa_pleco
05-27-2007, 05:25 AM
water changes every 2 days is really good for the fish. Most people do it 1-2 times a month because of time. Infact, you can never do too many water changes.

hungryhound
05-27-2007, 02:09 PM
last time i only change water 1 to 2 times a month but it doesnt smell this terrible. now i have to do it every 2 days. is it ok?

As cocoa pleco said the smell is most likely from rotting food as the only time you should have to change your water more than once a week is if your water parameters are out of wack. I think that most people on these boards change their water once a week.

To avoid the rotting food. Make sure that you are fedding your fish a small amount that they consume before it hits the bottom. Usually it is recomended that they be able to eat all of the food in 30 seconds, but some people say 5 minutes. You can judge how long it should be by the size of your fishes bely. IF event he males look pregnant, then you have fed to much food.

2manyfish
05-27-2007, 09:54 PM
If you are trying to breed fish then doing all those water changes will certainly help to get them into condition!! :thumb: What fish are you wanting to breed?

bscman
06-01-2007, 06:09 AM
+1, water changes are good!
2 a month? My fish would be very disappointed with me if that was my routine. I do a 10-15% change at LEAST once a week. Often more frequently.

Incredulous_Ed
06-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Don't feed the bloodworms everyday because they aren't that healthy for the fish. Too much fat. Is the tank cycled?