PDA

View Full Version : Should I?

Ashley
05-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Should I trade in my two common plecos for smaller ones? I really love them and wanted to keep them for a future pond (probably won't have a pond for another year). What are some different types of plecos besides BN's that stay small enough for my 110 gallon?

Northernguy
05-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Here is a great list with descriptions.There are many that do not out grow a 110.
Rubberlip and BNs are two of the smaller ones.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/common_names.php?letter=a

tanks4thememories
05-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Should I trade in my two common plecos for smaller ones? I really love them and wanted to keep them for a future pond (probably won't have a pond for another year). What are some different types of plecos besides BN's that stay small enough for my 110 gallon?

Well without knowing the current sizes of the fish in question. I cant really tell you. I can however offer the general guides I use to help me decide such issues in my own aquariums:

1) Can the fish turn around comfortably.
2) How active is the species as described in general from several different sources? Then ask yourself is yours behaving the same?
3) How does the size of the fish in question effect other tank mates.
4) Has the behavior of the fish in question changed radically lately. (is he happy)

To me the above always help me come to the best decision for both myself and the fish.

As far as smaller species of pleco, just go to "Planet catfish" and look through the glossary of fish ID. They all have sizes listed and the majority of Plecos don't get super huge, its just the ones frequently in large supply at LFS (Most popular and well known) get large..lol

Hope this helps ya some:22:

Irish2539
05-09-2010, 08:51 PM
How are your two common pleco's together...? they tend to be very agressive when kept together... Mine were anyways, had to give one back.

Ashley
05-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Mine are very gentle, they don't bother each other or any of the tank mates. They are both 6-7 inches. My blood parrot bothers them though, and I'm currently trying to sell the blood parrot.

Northernguy
05-10-2010, 03:45 AM
Lots of hiding places will help to keep plecos from getting in each others way.
Some are just more pushy then others.Some want their own space.
I have one that goes after the fish in the tank.I think he is getting rehomed.

Scrup
05-11-2010, 07:50 PM
IMO two 6-7" commons would work fine for another year or so in that setup. The BP will only be able to harass the plecos, but not really do any damage.

If you are 100% about the pond go for it, but in 2-3 years it is going to be getting into close quarters if you still have them in the 110. Decoration is something to consider as well. When they get big they can move some heavy stuff and do some serious damage either with their heads or with the tail. (uproot all the plants, shatter heaters, knock everything in sight over, break off filter intakes)

Sasquatch
05-11-2010, 10:30 PM
At the size they're at, they should be fine for a little while in a 110g, exactly how long will depend on how much you feed them though.

As for plans to put them into a pond, probably not the best idea since you're in Canada. They are tropical fish and while the temperature may be adequate for parts of the summer (maybe 3 months), for the great majority of the year it'll be way too cold and you'll have to bring them inside.