PDA

View Full Version : Red Cherry Shrimp Question

ippielb
05-09-2010, 08:20 PM
I have around 20 young red cherry shrimp, they're all around 1/4" long, to 1/2" long. I have them in a 1 gallon hex tank. How long should i keep them in that tank until i move them into my 80 gallon? I just got them, and i just gave them a little piece of broccoli boiled until soft, couple have been on it for a while. A lot of them are hiding still.

Thanks

Wild Turkey
05-09-2010, 08:28 PM
What is in your 80 gallon? The largest ones will only grow to around 1", so if you have large fish they will probably be eaten.

As long as the 1gallon is filtered and cycled, they should be okay in there for a very long time. Basically until they breed enough to overpopulate it.

Make sure it has substrate, and adding some java moss will make them feel right at home.

Veggies arent really on the menu though they will eat pretty much anything. Food made for crabs and other crustaceans is mostly what I feed mine.

ippielb
05-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Okay, the tank is cycled, i had it inside my 80 gallon tank when it went through its cycle, so literally the whole tank is cycled, lol, inside and out. Well outside was, so what should i be feeding them to make sure that they don't go hungry. I only have creek minnows in my 80 gallon.

Wild Turkey
05-09-2010, 09:10 PM
If you take some substrate from your 80 gallon and put it in that tank they will feed on that. They feed mostly on biofilm. Foods like crab cuisine are good otherwise, so are shrimp pellets etc but you really dont need to feed them except a few days a week. Its really easy to overfeed a shrimp tank.

ippielb
05-09-2010, 09:12 PM
So, i can just take old susbrate and put it in my little tank to get a cleaning? haha, sounds good to me. How long does it take for cherry shrimp to become adult size, and reach sexual maturity? So i have a rough estimate.

Thanks for the help!

Wild Turkey
05-09-2010, 09:16 PM
It depends, but not longer than a few months or so. They only live a few years, but they breed fast.

Algenco
05-09-2010, 10:14 PM
if you put them in the 80 they will be lunch

Lady Hobbs
05-10-2010, 12:30 AM
They surely will! Mine were eaten by tetra's. I'd also leave them right where they are. When you get too many of them, sell them.

ippielb
05-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Okay, thanks everyone, i have ghost shrimp in my 25 gallon with my angelfish, and my angel just acts as if they don't even exsist. I will leave them out of the 80 gallon.

Thanks, i got what i was after,