PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Issues

kel
05-08-2010, 02:22 AM
I picked up the Betta for This (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=62402) tank that I am building.

He's a cutie but he doesn't seem very interested in food :shrug:

I have got him to recognize that my finger hovering above the water means it is feeding time but when I drop the pellet in there he sucks it in his mouth, spits it back out and repeats this a couple times then swims away.

I feed him once a day and only one pellet at a time so he should be hungry... is it the food maybe or could there be a bigger issue brewing here?

The food I picked up when I brought him home are Wardleys Advanced Nutrition Betta Pellets. I plan on getting some Hikari Pellets this weekend and possibly some brine shrimp just to see if he is just being picky.

Any thoughts?

Meenu
05-08-2010, 02:58 AM
Any chance the pellets are too big for him? Maybe try breaking it up and seeing if that helps. Another option is to dip it in garlic juice. They like the taste, and garlic is good for them anyway (it acts as a natural immune booster).

If that doesn't work or isn't the problem, I'd say keep trying. I think it is normal for them to not want food for a couple of days sometimes.

HeatherH
05-08-2010, 02:32 PM
When my bettas did that,I fed them some live food. Nothing gets a betta spinning on it's fins faster than chasing a mosquito larvae in the water. After that,they were always 110% interested in feeding time and ate it all.

Also had quite a few bettas that preferred snacking on feeder guppy fry.

Wild Turkey
05-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Parameters?

If everything is fine, its probably the wardley pellets imo. Check the reviews section, most people consider this brand of food sub par and their fish seem to agree by rejecting it.

kel
05-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Parameters are 0,0,0 as he is only in a 1g holding tank with a UGF and tiny heater. Been doing 90% w/c every other day so the water is fine (can't wait for his 10g to be ready... need payday to arrive to get the last few bits for it)

I was afraid the food was the issue... gonna try out a few other brands and types. Where would one find mosquito larvae? And is there a danger of them becoming real mosquitoes? The last thing I need is a mosquito infestation inside my house.

Wild Turkey
05-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Bloodworms are the larva of the giant mosquito, you can get them freeze dried or frozen at most pet stores and most fish love them. You should still feed a quality pellet a staple though.

No risk of hatching.

You can get them from outside (whatever species u have) by just leaving some stagnant water out, you will see them wiggleing around.

HeatherH
05-08-2010, 07:13 PM
I only put in one or two at a time with an eyedropper and made sure they ate it. I was always afraid I'd wake up with mosquitoes all over me,too. lol

Zilla
05-08-2010, 08:06 PM
My betta hates pellets. I give him frozen foods and he has yet to ignore those.

I've tried half-heartedly to get him to eat pellets with garlic as supposedly fish love garlic. My betta apparently is not a fan hearsay and voo-doo as he won't eat those either.

kel
05-08-2010, 10:44 PM
And we have a winner thumbs2:

Picked up some Hikari Betta pellets and some Hikari frozen blood worms and he ate them both like he hadn't seen food in days! Poor guy just has demanding tastes lol.

Thanks for all the help :22:

chrisfraser05
05-08-2010, 10:59 PM
I have the same issues with my little man.

I've used 3 different brands of flakes and two brands of pellets. He eats a little but really not much.

The rest won't go to waste though as he's now got a few corys in with him to finish off the food and the guys in the big tank eat anything lol

Oscar_freak12321
05-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Bettas CAN be picky, as all fish can be. Good to know you got him eating. thumbs2:

kel
05-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Guess he was just really hungry because now he is VERY active lol... He has been patrolling his tank flaring at his reflection on either side... guess he is protecting his new food source thumbs2:

Wild Turkey
05-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Happy to hear all this good news thumbs2: