PDA

View Full Version : Holes in my Java Fern

Sasquatch
05-08-2010, 01:22 AM
I've got several java ferns in my aquarium and over the last week or so several holes have developped in the center of the leaves. They alll along the central spine of the leaf and all along it's length ... and I have no idea what's causing it.

They're mature ferns, each several years old. They're attached onto logs and have been growing well up to now. I dose regularly with Flourish Excel and Flourish Iron and have recently started dosing again with an NPK (Nutrafin Plant Gro) because my nitrates and phosphates are so low.

It's a heavily planted tank with some crypts, hygrophila, pennywort and hornwort, all of which seem to be doing well.

Any ideas what could be causing the problem?

rich311k
05-08-2010, 03:35 AM
Is it only the old leaves? How are the new leaves? Sounds like a nutrient problem, you may need more nitrates and potassium.

Lady Hobbs
05-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Same thing happened to some of my leaves. I honestly thought snails were eating at it since that's where they seemed to be hanging out mostly. Never did found out what it was but I cut all those leaves off and new stuff grew. I will say I now dose with iron and they are doing much better and growing all kinds of new babies.

SunSchein89
05-08-2010, 01:38 PM
If you have a bunch of new growth on the ends of the leaves, the main leaf that's holding them may just be dying back to allow the others to fall off and grow. I'm also not sure what the life expectancy of a java fern is, but some plants do just get old and die off eventually, but it would be rather strange that it just happened out of nowhere within a week. It may also just be a nutrient deficiency that popped up on you; your other faster-growing plants may have been taking up most of the nutrients for awhile and your java fern could have run out of its reserves. Just a few possibilities, though none may be right and there's something else at play here.

Taurus
05-08-2010, 04:40 PM
LOL..rich..do you have to be right all the time? :ezpi_wink1:

Is it only the old leaves? How are the new leaves? Sounds like a nutrient problem, you may need more nitrates and potassium.

Sasquatch
05-09-2010, 12:19 PM
It looks like it's just the older leaves, they look the worst anyways.

It could be that it's a nutrient problem, I only supplement iron ATM and the other plants grow faster and could be sucking it all up before the javas get a chance.

I'll trim back the old leaves and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.

rich311k
05-09-2010, 12:21 PM
I think a pinch of potassium would probably help solve the problem. By all means remove the older leaves they will not recover.

Lady Hobbs
05-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Charles, it's nice to see you again. It's been a while.

Sasquatch
05-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Charles, it's nice to see you again. It's been a while.

Thanks for the "welcome back", it's been kinda crazy of late and I haven't had much time to go on forums.

It's good to be back and see some friendly .... avatars.