PDA

View Full Version : Sexing

SharkBait1992
05-06-2010, 06:03 AM
im just curious how you tell the difference between male and female plecos and how can i tell the gender of mine

http://si.dailybooth.com/pictures/large/c0d592727f2421d7b2f2c6d71c3df151_4694100.jpg

Bristley
05-06-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm definitely no expert, but I would imagine that it depends on the specific type of pleco. For example, IIRC, for Bristlenose pleco a male will have a ton of long whiskers, whereas a females whiskers are much shorter. For other plecos I'm not sure but there are probably several different methods to determine sex, but some you might not be able to tell until they are fully mature.

VoidParadigm
05-06-2010, 03:34 PM
With common plecos (both "common" species) it's basically impossible to determinate. Assuming that's what yours is, at least. Most catfish females get round with eggs once they're fully mature - but I don't recall if that's true for Pleco species or not.

Northernguy
05-06-2010, 03:45 PM
The easiest way to tell them apart would be to have a few of them in a tank and watch them until you see one drop some eggs.That would be the female.lol
I am not sure if there is a definite way to tell by appearance.I do not beleive there is.Its hard enough just to positively ID some of them.

scatz
05-06-2010, 04:38 PM
it really does depend on the species of plec in question, as said above, ancistrus (bristle noses) are very easy to sex, others do have differences between them making it possible to tell.
As yours is a common plec, the only real way to tell is by getting pics of the genitalia, but as there is no way of breeding these in home aquariums, there isn't really much point in spending much effort in trying to sex them

VoidParadigm
05-06-2010, 06:15 PM
If you're wondering sex so that you can name it, instead of breed it, just pick something gender neutral. Or, y'know, you could always hurt the poor Plec's feelings and decide for yourself what it is. :lol:

SharkBait1992
05-07-2010, 02:55 AM
thanks everyone i was just curios no way i would try to breed it no room haha thanks for the help though