PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the Fry?

MacAnthony
05-23-2007, 08:24 PM
We have some zebras that the kids wanted to try and grow to maturity. So far, they seem to be doing well (almost 2 weeks now). My question is what to do with them once (or if) they reach maturity? We would like to keep a couple more in our main aquarium but not the numbers that we have. So what do you guys typically do with your fish once they've matured?

Drumachine09
05-23-2007, 08:27 PM
What is your tank size, filtration, and current stocking?

MacAnthony
05-23-2007, 08:41 PM
The fry will be going into a 5gal tank on their own.

Drumachine09
05-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Zebra danios? Or zebra cichlids. I think we are misunderstanding eachothers.

MacAnthony
05-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Danios, sorry. But that is completely irrelevant to the question. I'm just curious what everyone else does with the frys they raise.

Drumachine09
05-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Danios, sorry. But that is completely irrelevant to the question. I'm just curious what everyone else does with the frys they raise.

Do you have another tank, or is the five gallon just a grow out.

You could Keep the danios in the five gallon. But when they get bigger, i would get a bigger tank.

How many danios do you have?

MacAnthony
05-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Do you have another tank, or is the five gallon just a grow out.

You could Keep the danios in the five gallon. But when they get bigger, i would get a bigger tank.

How many danios do you have?

I was just curious what other people do, but I will give my backstory. :ezpi_wink1:

I have a 30gal tank that has 5 danios and 3 glass catfish. It's pretty sparsely stocked, but when we got the danios, we didn't realize how easy they were to breed and the kids become excited at the prospect of baby fish. We temporarily put them into a fish bowl but now have a 5gal tank setup the will hold just the danio fry. We would like to keep maybe 4 or 5 of the fry if we can get them to maturity and are big enough to not be eaten by the catfish. We also have some other people who said they may want some of the danios too, but currently, we have extracted about 80 fry from the main tank. I don't expect even close to that many to begin to reach maturity, but we'll see. If that happens, we have a couple of months to figure that out.

I just see a lot of people attempting to do this but I didn't think every one planned on keeping all the fish they bred. It was more of a question because I'm curious than I had a problem with my situation.

Drumachine09
05-23-2007, 09:57 PM
I suppose you could keep them. I keep all of my guppy fry, but i end up feeding the extras to the neighbors oscar.

Abbeys_Mom
05-23-2007, 10:08 PM
When I breed fish, I give my fry to the LFS in trade. I traded my guppies an got Platies and eventually was trading $20 Flowerhorn, Torpedo Barbs and Cichlids. Most LFS's will take fry for free if you are unable to make a deal.

MacAnthony
05-24-2007, 03:49 PM
When I breed fish, I give my fry to the LFS in trade. I traded my guppies an got Platies and eventually was trading $20 Flowerhorn, Torpedo Barbs and Cichlids. Most LFS's will take fry for free if you are unable to make a deal.

Sounds like a nice way to get new stock. You're kind of like a fish farm then. :)