PDA

View Full Version : Male with Females in a community aquarium?

LeJohn23
05-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Hello all. I have a 55 gallon aquarium that has just completed the cycling process. Currently I have a male betta in the aquarium, which I rescued from my sisters 1 gallon bowl that she left unattended. Will I be fine to add 4-6 female bettas along with the male? I will also house schools neon tetras, glowlight tetras, false jullii corys and otos.

If you do think it will be fine to add a small school of females to the tank, should I introduce them before or after the tetras?

EmmanuelJB
05-04-2010, 11:04 PM
I would leave out female bettas all together. The male and females would likley fight, and there is even a chance that the females would fight with each other.

I would go with a nice sized school of each of the 2 tetra (Or 1 HUGE school of the same tetras, would look awsome I think), the male betta, a few otos, and school of corrys.

If you do add the female bettas (which I don't recomend) than get an odd number of females. Also I don't think it really matters whether you add them before or after... I guess after might be a but better, so they don't establish territories.

LeJohn23
05-06-2010, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the help. I am going to avoid the female betta(s). I would like to get some top water fish to add to the aquarium, but every one that I like will seem to either stress the betta, nip the betta or the betta may attack them. Anyone have positive experiences with bettas and other top dwelling fish? If so, what kinds?

korith
05-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the help. I am going to avoid the female betta(s). I would like to get some top water fish to add to the aquarium, but every one that I like will seem to either stress the betta, nip the betta or the betta may attack them. Anyone have positive experiences with bettas and other top dwelling fish? If so, what kinds?

This post over on http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=14389 has a good list of good, bad, and possible tankmates and explanations.

Lady Hobbs
05-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Betta's are not fish that cry for company. They are lone fish and do very well alone. Why inflict company on them if they don't want it? I would use the 55 for other fish and get your betta a 5-10 gallon where he can live peacefully.

geminidragn
05-21-2010, 11:04 PM
I have a 10 gallon community that has three female and a male. They have been living together for 4 months. The alpha female will chase the male around at first and he'll do the same. But now they swim around together and have established themselves as a couple even though they have not bred.

But it depends on the beta, because she didn't like any of my other males that I tried in the tank and would pick their tails apart. She likes the male I have in there now and was actually scared of him at first. Guess it was a respect thing.

If you get female make sure to introduce them into the tank AT THE SAME TIME. There will be picking and chasing at first to establish a pecking order after that everything's cool!!