PDA

View Full Version : Ferts discoloring water

Zilla
05-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Does anybody else use the Kent Marine series for ferts?

I've been using Pro-Plant and Iron & Manganese. I've use a 1/4 dose every couple of weeks and the stuff makes the water murky and sticks to the inside of the glass.

The murky effect doesn't kick in right away, but by the 3rd day the tanks look like they haven't seen a water change in months and that's certainly not the case around here. It doesn't appear to cause any other problems but I'm getting to the point where I don't want to use them because I know what is coming.

If they are causing water quality issues at a 1/4 dose every couple of weeks, I don't want to think about what a tank would look like if a tank was dosed according to the directions. People would have a tea or black water tank...

Thoughts? Experiences? Do you think water hardness ( or the lack of in my case) is contributing to any of this?

rich311k
05-04-2010, 01:10 PM
It could be the mixing of the two ferts if added at the same time. Trace mixes combined with potassium will cause a participate to form or at least it is possible. I use dry ferts and have never had the problem. I always dose my traces (iron etc) on opposite days from anything else.

Zilla
05-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks Rich.

I'll try dosing on different days and see if that makes any difference. I may also cut the dose back some more and see if that helps. The plants will tell me if it's a problem or not.

As for water softness, I'm working on that even though I don't know if it's a factor or not. Since adding driftwood to the tank, I can't get the pH above 6.5. It's not a big deal for the fish, but I'm worried about my snail's shell, so I'm going to see if treating my water like R/O water helps. I had been using crushed coral, but I'm finding that it exhausts within days. Meh! GH is in the 0-60 range and KH is <20 mg.

If reconstituting the water doesn't help, I'm going to have to pull the driftwood out of the 55. Something I prefer not to do, but I don't want my Nerite to completely lose his shell either.

rich311k
05-04-2010, 03:28 PM
What is your KH? Must be low if the wood is effecting things that much. Maybe just add baking soda with water changes.

Zilla
05-04-2010, 03:48 PM
KH- 30 mg

Since Seachem ph Regulator contains phosphates and other things, I've been using Kent Marine pH Stable as it has no phosphates or nitrates. So far it has kept things as stable as it can be, but I went ahead and ordered Kent Marine R/O Right last week which will be here tomorrow.

Part of the lack of stability was my fault as I was doing alot of water changes due to sky high phosphates and nitrates. Both of those are now back within normal ranges so I'm not doing water changes as often. Instead of doing them daily or every other day, I'm down to one 50% and I get in a 30% on Sundays.

I suppose I could put crushed coral back in the filters and see what happens. I've done the baking soda thing many years ago and it drove me nuts. The pH was all over the place, so I'll try the R/O Right first and see what happens.

I keep reading about how water from wells is like liquid rock. I don't know where that water is, but it's certainly not here.

Zilla
05-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Just a update for those that may be frustrated with their really soft water. Using the R/O Right fixed my pH issues and if I didn't know better, I'd say my plants appear to be happier as well. While part of me says there is no connection, it would make sense that they would do better as I'm putting the minerals and macros back in that are missing without using ferts.

If I can get away without having to use ferts and have healthy plants, using the R/O Correct is worth it. The ferts cost more and they are a pain in the butt...

Taurus
05-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Are you thinking of purchasing your own R\O Unit? Or have you done that already? :sconfused:
Whoops, sorry, I went back an reread the thread.

Zilla
05-07-2010, 09:07 PM
No biggie.

I read a tip that suggested that if a person has really soft water, they should treat it like R/O water, so that's what I'm doing. I'm tired of the pH bouncing around all over the place, so if the suggestion works, it's one less thing to worry about and my fish won't have to be stressed.