PDA

View Full Version : XP3 on a 30 gallon

hungryhound
05-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Everyone,

I have a 30 gallon tank that I am in the process of setting up. I want to put a canister filter on it as they seem to be the most efficient.

I know that there are people who hate the XP3 and prefer the Filstars and ehiems over them on this board, but that is not what this discussion is about.

My question to you is this. Do you think that an XP3 will provide too much current in my 30 gallon tank for my Cherry shrimp and galaxy rasboras?

Would turning the water pressure to its lowest setting and pointing the spray bar at the back of the tank alleviate most of this problem?

The reason I ask is that petsmart is still having their coupon code sale on their XP# models and I would like to get the XP3 over the XP2 because of the added slots for media.

With the price being a mere difference of 10 dollars it makes sense to get the more powerful one as long as it will not be too much current.

Thanks for your input and help.

A340
05-24-2007, 05:47 AM
Everyone,

I have a 30 gallon tank that I am in the process of setting up. I want to put a canister filter on it as they seem to be the most efficient.

I know that there are people who hate the XP3 and prefer the Filstars and ehiems over them on this board, but that is not what this discussion is about.

My question to you is this. Do you think that an XP3 will provide too much current in my 30 gallon tank for my Cherry shrimp and galaxy rasboras?

Would turning the water pressure to its lowest setting and pointing the spray bar at the back of the tank alleviate most of this problem?

The reason I ask is that petsmart is still having their coupon code sale on their XP# models and I would like to get the XP3 over the XP2 because of the added slots for media.

With the price being a mere difference of 10 dollars it makes sense to get the more powerful one as long as it will not be too much current.

Thanks for your input and help.
I would think that if you added a spraybar you could reduce the current.

BTW, Galaxay Rasbora's have apparently been re-classified as Celestial Pearl Danio's, according to the June 2007 issue of Aquarium Fish. They are absolutly gorgeous!

cocoa_pleco
05-24-2007, 02:26 PM
the current should be fine. I have a fluval 205 on only a 20g and the current isnt bad at all.

I want another canister filter too, probabky a Xp2 for the hex

hungryhound
05-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Sorry for the delay in reply.

Thanks for the information Cocoa Pleco. I went with the XP3. hopefully everything works out for the best.