PDA

View Full Version : bristlenose won't eat wafers!

WOGGIES
05-23-2007, 11:10 AM
hello, i bought a bristlenose pleco two days ago and got some algae wafers for him yesterday and he wouldn't touch them. There is green spots of algae on the tank glass and green algae on the ornoments. Should i be worried about him not eating? But i don't think hes eaten any of the algae in the tank either, because the green algae on the glass is still there since I got him. I'm going to try some zuchinni today. thanks

Lady Hobbs
05-23-2007, 12:04 PM
He probably will not eat that type of algae. Not all catfish eat all types. He's probably finding enough food on the floor of the tank and doesn't need the waffers. My cory doesn't touch it, either.

cocoa_pleco
05-23-2007, 01:25 PM
some plecos plain old wont eat wafers. One of my old clown plecos wouldnt touch them even if i shoved them in his face. Yours will find enough food somewhere else.

WOGGIES
05-23-2007, 05:18 PM
should i keep putting wafers in at night? I read that it might take some time for fish to adjust to new foood. I just want to makre sure hes getting enough food. I'll try a zuchinni tonight.

Incredulous_Ed
05-23-2007, 06:26 PM
I think the pleco just needs some more time to get used to his new enviroment. Plecos are shy creatures, so just give him some time. Put a wafer or two in at night and maybe he'll eat it.

kimmers318
05-23-2007, 06:31 PM
I don't think bristlies will eat the hard spot algae I believe you may be seeing on your glass, but if this is an established tank, chances are he is finding plenty to eat thus the wafers are not looking tasty to him.
Definitely try the zucchini, that is a favorite of all my fish except my puffers, and as long as you see him constantly busy cleaning, don't see him getting skinny don't worry.
Don't put the wafers in if noone in the tank is eating them as they will just add to the waste in the tank. Observe your bristlie and get a feel for what he is doing, make sure he isn't losing weight, and if he doesn't want the wafers don't worry as long as he looks healthy.

nanaglen2001
05-23-2007, 06:37 PM
And if he doesnt like zhe Zucchini, try cucumber.

That was something my Bristlenoses loved.

Or maybe he just doesnt like the taste of those wafers, fish can be very picky.

You should see my Meekis when the accidentaly get some plant flake in their mouths...its disgust pure

WOGGIES
05-23-2007, 09:39 PM
thanks for the advice everyone. How big should the zuchinni pieces be? I just chop it up and put a piece in the tank right? Also, can i just leave the zuchinni in there overnight, or will it spoil? Thanks.

Drumachine09
05-23-2007, 09:40 PM
thanks for the advice everyone. How big should the zuchinni pieces be? I just chop it up and put a piece in the tank right? Also, can i just leave the zuchinni in there overnight, or will it spoil? Thanks.

If you boil it, it:

a.)sanitizes it, and
b.) softens it so it is easier for them to eat.

WOGGIES
05-24-2007, 12:50 AM
If you boil it, it:

a.)sanitizes it, and
b.) softens it so it is easier for them to eat.

thanks, how big of a piece should i give him? Hes just probably 4.5 inches. And can i just leave the zuchinni in the tank and not take it out?

Drumachine09
05-24-2007, 12:51 AM
thanks, how big of a piece should i give him? Hes just probably 4.5 inches. And can i just leave the zuchinni in the tank and not take it out?

I have no idea. I dont feed zucchini, i just told you what i have picked up from word of mouth.

nanaglen2001
05-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Zucchinis tend to become very pulpy after a while, I would leave it max. for 6 hours or so under water.

And for a bristlenose you dont need to boil it. The inside of a Zucchini is soft enough.

What you can try also is a piece of peeled apple, Peppers, as I already said cucumber, some people I know even use raw potatos, tomatos are nice too.

All stuff of course raw, and the pieces maybe 2 inches square.

To keep that stuff on the bottom of the tank I normly use a stainless steel fork or spoon.

Keep an eye on that stuff, and if it wont be touched within 2 hours, take it out and try something else.

I tried all the stuff, but the bristlenoses favorite was always the cucumber.

WOGGIES
05-24-2007, 10:16 AM
the zucchini was left untouched all night!! Arg, what shall i do? I don't think he even knew it was in the tank, he just hides in his castle

nanaglen2001
05-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Put a fresh Zucchini or cucumber in tonight, and tomorrow night and so on.

Some Bristlenoses are more shy (or stupid?) than others and need a bit time to find out/to learn whats good for them.

I used to have 2 L200s...man it took me at least 3 weeks until they learned, but after that my arm wasnt out of the water, the 2 guys sat on their cucumber. Each fish got its own, otherwise I had a war going on in my tank:hmm3grin2orange: