PDA

View Full Version : This Tank Idea is Kel's Fault

Aminax
05-03-2010, 09:27 PM
:hmm3grin2orange:

Just kidding! But he did inspire some ideas.

As mentioned in Brhino's Aquarium Journal (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=61802&page=3), our goldies will be moving into their own tank soon. The goldies' names are Admiral Ackbar and Emperor Palpatine (we're looking at getting two more eventually, who will also be given StarWars-related names). ...Maybe you can see where I'm going with this.

I'm fairly certain I can create a StarWars diorama in the new, cube tank altering some of the ideas kel came up with and implemented in his 10g betta tank.

First step? Watch the StarWars movies for inspiration! Stay tuned for updates!

sebastien
05-03-2010, 10:31 PM
have the death star in the middle and hollow it out..or put some tubes in it!

terrapin24h
05-03-2010, 10:45 PM
i personally a Naboo themed tank would look the best, maybe even the gungan underwater city.

--chris

Rhaethe
05-03-2010, 10:50 PM
!!!

I am being so tempted to try something similar now .... would be easy to sell a new tank idea to the boyfriend if I made it SW themed ...

*plots*

sebastien
05-03-2010, 11:07 PM
ya and whatever setting you do...paint the back of the tank to give it an even better starwars feel!

Trillianne
05-03-2010, 11:25 PM
ya and whatever setting you do...paint the back of the tank to give it an even better starwars feel!

Not solid black... star speckled :D

kel
05-04-2010, 12:01 AM

Just kidding! But he did inspire some ideas.

Happy to help :hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe the Moon of Enor :) Very green planet which would lead to some good planting.. but then again it is a Goldie tank and they will eat all the plants sooooooo..... Tatooine would be more appropriate thumbs2:

Brhino
05-04-2010, 12:03 AM
KEL! You got some splainin' to do!:hmm3grin2orange:

kel
05-04-2010, 12:05 AM
KEL! You got some splainin' to do!:hmm3grin2orange:

:14: Wasn't me! I swear! :14:

Brhino
05-04-2010, 12:08 AM
The funny thing is, she's a gardener (among many other things) and I'm an engineer. And yet somehow she's dreaming up elaborate constructions and I'm reading up on aquatic plants, bogwood, and natural substrates.

kel
05-04-2010, 12:12 AM
The world is a strange place indeed lol

On the bright side..... you get a Star Wars aquarium out of all this thumbs2:

Aminax
05-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Since I'm very much what the pop-pseudo-psychologists call "right-brained", I think in concepts, not in lists or categories. This makes taking on this sort of project (or any, really) troublesome. With that being said (or typed), all ideas start out with a little brainstorming. So bear with me as I try to describe my ideas.

As you all probably know, the colors on the goldies really come out with black backgrounds and green plants. I'm really limited on what plants I can put in there, but a black background is no problem. This of course limits me to battles/scenes in outter space or on a planet but at night.

Starry Space Background- the thought crossed my mind to do this. Will the extra sparkles irritate/stress the fish?

Death Star- SOOOOO tempted to try this. The problem is how DETAILED that darn thing is! At a distance, it's just a big, grey ball, but closer up you see all the instruments, weapons and what not on the surface. Perhaps I can paint it on the background.

Originally, before I decided to go with a StarWars setting, I thought about making all sorts of little obstacles and traps where I can hide food for them to find; maybe I can still incorporate this somehow.

Next time I post, maybe I'll have some sketches I can share.

korweabo0
05-04-2010, 01:09 AM
here's my 2¢:

my suggestion is to paint a solar system, if not a galaxy in the back. like if you're painting the back black, you might as well paint some stars~ right?!

black sand/gravel with a sprinkle of white sand. then top it off with some plants(there's your green) and a DIY centerpeiece decoration which would be either your deathstar or something else!

wolf_eyes
05-04-2010, 01:51 AM
If you need any help artwise, send me a pm. I'm an artist so I could do the background for you if you wanted. This is certainly an interesting project. Can't wait to hear what you decide on

Aminax
05-04-2010, 04:45 AM
Do the theme of that place in Avatar.

I thought about that!! Even have a couple of sketches and rough schematics on how to build a mushroom that had LED glow inside. Alas, I don't have THAT much time. Plus, in a world like Avatar, I'd really need a larger tank. This one is a good size, but wouldn't do the Avatar universe justice.

Aminax
05-05-2010, 01:13 AM
If you need any help artwise, send me a pm. I'm an artist so I could do the background for you if you wanted.

Thank you very much for the offer! I think I will stick it in my back pocket. Even though this is a "do it myself" thing, I may take you up on this! <3!!

Trillianne
05-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Its too bad plants are an issue, because a Sunken X-wing below the Dagoba swamp would be amusing as well.

Brhino
05-07-2010, 01:19 AM
There are some plants that goldfish don't eat... a planted goldfish tank isn't impossible, you just have to put some extra planning into it.

SunSchein89
05-07-2010, 06:46 AM
Although Jar Jar wasn't the most popular of the star wars characters, his whole city was underwater and would certainly fit the theme. Plus I think it was just a bunch of connecting spheres was it not? I like the sunken x-wing in the swamp idea too. If you could somehow frost the glass and make it look snowy in your tank, an imperial walker assaulting the rebel base along with some ton tons or something wouldn't take too much detail other than those things themselves. I don't know how good a figurine of some sort smothered in silicone would look, but that would definitely make your life a lot easier. Maybe even just a fleet of some imperial or rebel ships "flying" around (maybe even fighting?) in a lot of black with stars painted on the background like suggested earlier. Definitely want to see what you end up doing with this. I was always a star wars fan :11: .

Bristley
05-07-2010, 02:15 PM
my suggestion is to paint a solar system, if not a galaxy in the back. like if you're painting the back black, you might as well paint some stars~ right?!

black sand/gravel with a sprinkle of white sand.

I like this part of Korweabo0's suggestion, but he also mentioned plants which in my mind doesn't necessarily go with a "being out in space theme". Instead perhaps you could put rocks that kind of look "asteroid like" in there.

Also, if you can, then put in a Deathstar center piece with holes in it (like on the sides top and bottom) for the fish to swim in and out of (like they're rebel fighters making bombing runs.

And for kicks if you can, train them to wear little x-wing afterburners on their tail fins. j/k. :hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously though, aside from the afterburner thing, I think it would look pretty cool like that.

Brhino
05-07-2010, 02:17 PM
given that the tank will be a (single species) goldfish tank, we'll probably want to avoid sharp fiddly protrusions as much as possible, and any kind of "cave" structure will have to be large if it'll see any use.

Bristley
05-07-2010, 02:41 PM
I can't remember exactly what the size of the new tank you are doing is gonna be. I think in your journal you said something around a 55g am I right? Cause I think that could be large enough to put in a hollowed out "Death Star", with large holes on the sides for them to swim through. You could also put a bunch of smaller holes in the front so that you could see the goldies swimming inside. Anyway, it's just a thought, and it probably would take up too much room. However, I can see some possibilities for something like this, especially in a larger tank.

Brhino
05-07-2010, 03:01 PM
it's 65g, but it's a cube. 25"x25"x24".

Bristley
05-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah, having a Death Star that would be big enough to work out for the fish, would probably end up being overwhelming for that size tank, at least the way I envision it. But it does still sound like you guys have a lot of interesting ideas to work with. Keep us posted as I'm anxious to see how it looks when you finally decide what you're gonna do.

Brhino
05-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Aminax's imagination is unlimited, but her budget and free time are not. :hmm3grin2orange:

When we get the tank setup at first, it'll be pretty sparse - going to use the marbles that are currently the substrate in our 29g. Just don't want anyone to be disappointed when they first see it. :ssmile:

Aminax
05-09-2010, 01:22 AM
That's a nice way of putting it, dearest husband of mine, thank you. :l19:

But part of the spirit of Kel's tank design/philosophy is to use what is on hand/cheap material! And my aim is to be sticking close to that.

kel
05-09-2010, 02:44 AM
But part of the spirit of Kel's tank design/philosophy is to use what is on hand/cheap material! And my aim is to be sticking close to that.

I'm trying to keep to that.... unfortunately some items just must be bought ..... and of course nothing is cheap in this hobby lol. Good Luck with the tank, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

May The Force Be With You! thumbs2:

Aminax
05-10-2010, 10:45 PM
General Entry

Tonight my husband has a soccer game, so I'm going to sit and watch the first of the original three StarWars for inspiration. If I still have time afterward, I'll sit down in front of my sketchpad and see what I come up with.

The general idea I'm going with that as long as I A) coat with aquarium silicone; B) let whatever cure; C) test, test, test for problems that it will all work out in the end. So there might be some... rrr... A LOT of experimenting! Luckily I also dream of being a scientist...so this'll be good practice! :hmm3grin2orange:

kel:

You're right! What I meant is "to stick as close as possible"... meaning that if there's something we *have* to get, fine, but otherwise, I'll be using materials we have. Besides, I'm only fiddling with the icing, so to speak. My husband has already gotten the tank, light, etc, etc... it's just a matter of me having fun with the internal decoration. thumbs2:

We have this lovely, unfinished basement PACKED with all sorts of material, too... so who KNOWS what I'm going to come up with!

Aminax
05-11-2010, 12:48 AM
Correction:

I will not be watching "StarWars" tonight, due to a certain someone wanting to watch it with me. I very much enjoy this person's company, so I am postponing. Instead, I may go into the basement and play around with sketches/ideas from memory.

Perhaps I'll post the first pics.

Aminax
05-12-2010, 04:47 AM
B'wahahahaaaaa love that movie! As a teaser, this post includes photos of the preliminary research & development.

First: shots of famous faces from the movie!
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Aminax/DSC_0321.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Aminax/DSC_0318.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Aminax/DSC_0320.jpg
The research & development team hard at work! OSHA's representative strongly encouraging one of those "work breaks" I keep hearing about!

And last but not least, the real teaser.... some sketches and brainstorming!
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Aminax/DSC_0322.jpg

SunSchein89
05-12-2010, 04:56 AM
Ahhh.. noo... more... teasing! Just want to see a star wars tank!

Ha, anyway, does that scene in the desert you drew up have Luke's family dead in the sand with a frowning face next to it? Lol, cuse that's what it looks like to me; gotta watch out for those ammonia spikes with the little dead people in your tank thumbs2: .

Aminax
05-12-2010, 01:36 PM

Yeah, it is. That scene is what sticks with me the most in that movie. Also, the GeoQuiz on NPR yesterday was where that scene was shot.

Anyway- with any luck (perhaps better scheduling/time management on my part), I'll get into the basement and continue testing!

Aminax
05-23-2010, 04:29 AM
More teasing!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/Aminax/DSC_0473.jpg

I'll watch A New Hope soon. Between work, volunteering, kid, etc, etc...not a lot of time for fiddling around with projects in the basement! Oh well, progress is still progress.

<3 & fishes