PDA

View Full Version : Will these fish get along?

ashleymaree
05-03-2010, 03:12 PM
A friend is giving me his 40 gallon high aquarium, and I'm excited to give my figure 8 puffer his new home (he's in a 10 gal right now).

I have 2 bumble bee gobies on order, and wonder about getting some white tip shark catfish as well.

Just curious though, if these will all get along with eachother. Or if you all have any other suggestions for me.

Thanks in advance!!

VoidParadigm
05-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Puffers are better off by themself iirc.

toddnbecka
05-03-2010, 05:21 PM
The catfish will grow much too large for a 40 gallon tank, and will eventually need full salt water. Bumblebee gobies don't compete well against other species for food. They are better kept in groups as well.

Sarkazmo
05-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Puffers can be really.... evil. Best to keep them in a species tank.

Sark

korweabo0
05-03-2010, 06:15 PM
The catfish will grow much too large for a 40 gallon tank, and will eventually need full salt water. Bumblebee gobies don't compete well against other species for food. They are better kept in groups as well.

agreed.
but i'm not entirely sure of the temperament of all your fish. if they're passive with each other, you can pull it off. but the fig8 and goby's wouldn't suit each other because of the food-competition.

jay2487
05-03-2010, 07:31 PM
the puffers would murdalize everything in the tank. I have seen them flip common plecos over and eat there bellies out to avoid the hard armor on their backs. I have seen them eat the eyes out of dragon fish just for fun. Not even eating them once they died but killing them just because they could. The only thing to keep with puffers in my opinion is cheap crustaceans, maybe a couple crawfish and ghost shrimp. Even they will get eaten but you wont have to file any beaks if they do

tanks4thememories
05-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Im curious, what are the actual measurements of the tank please?

ashleymaree
05-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Ok, here's the development to the story. I'm pretty much figuring that my puffer won't get along with the other fish... there's a small chance from all the research out there... but small it is!

So... I'm changing gears.

I've decided not to go with the 40 gallon. It's tall and not as wide as I wanted... so I found a sweet deal on a 55 gallon long (48 inches long). I'm also pretty sure that the Shark Catfish are going to be too big... though that fish is AWESOME!!!

So... I really like the Violet Goby (dragon goby). I think it'd be ok because of the length of the tank. and then some various mollies, and maybe anableps if I can find one in the area.

I really want some big fish, but can't afford and dont the room for a huge aquarium... so I'm compromising - giving up the shark cat... :-(

What do you guys think of this plan??

do any of you know anything of the south american puffer?? I found many sources online that said that puffer is friendly, it might nip at flowing fins... but it's not "evil"

smaug
05-07-2010, 10:35 PM
I keep a fig 8 puffer with bb gobys.The bbg are far to quick to be picked off by fig 8s under most instances.I have not lost any bbg to the puffer,mof the fig 8 really doesn't notice them.He is also in there with a knight goby and the knight does harass the bbg and even ate one once.

kaianuanu
06-11-2010, 02:07 AM
I had a full salt tank with mostly triggers and a porcupine puffer.........................the triggers made the puffer look like an angel. I think lots of hiding spots will really help everything out. Puffers usually prefer open water and my porcupine just chilled at the top, like in the cornes, not out of fear though.