PDA

View Full Version : Discus tank conversion

Ashley
05-02-2010, 08:01 PM
I am working on creating a tank that will eventually house discus (not yet), so I thought I would create an ongoing journal instead of continually starting new threads here and there!

They will eventually be going in my 110, with the stocking being changed:
The blood parrot will be removed
Guppies are going to a new home
Algae eater going to a new home

The tank will be getting a rehaul in the plant department.
I am currently growing out and grouping my anacharis plants to provide taller aquascaping, and will be buying 10 giant vals this weekend for background cover. Then some smaller foreground plants will be added.

I will be recieving an Eheim pro 3e this week (suited for 180 gallons)
I will later add a fluval in tank filter, but will currently keep my ac 70 with the ehiem and fill it with filter floss and bio media.

does all sound good thus far?

I will possibly be removing more fish, but will definitely be keeping my plecos (for a future pond), and keeping the platys and angel.

Ashley
05-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Here are some pics, not that great but to get a visual idea (the smaller wood with the anubias in the back will be going to another tank).

Lady Hobbs
05-03-2010, 03:46 AM
If this is the common pleco you have, you don't want to keep them with Discus. They are known to suck on flat sided fish like discus, angels, silver dollars, etc. They are also considered dirty fish and your water must be kept pristine for Discus.

Ashley
05-03-2010, 05:57 PM
I'll see how they do for now, as they will eventually be going to a pond, so I didn't really want to sell them. Currently they don't bother with any of my fish including the angel. If there are problems, I will have to do what's needed. I am pretty much on top of my water changes, and will most likely do 10% daily water changes, once I have the discus. Filtration and plants are my biggest changes prior to adding anything new. I may even just decide to get two canister filters and forget the intank filter.

Lady Hobbs
05-03-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm not a Discus owner but I think you will need to do far larger changes with them.

Ashley
05-03-2010, 08:34 PM
yeah a weekly 50% change and daily 10% changes

MCHRKiller
05-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Buy discus 4-5" in size, juvies do very poorly in tanks with substrate as they need extremely clean water...and if they dont receive it you risk stunting them.(those discus whose faces are pointed are stunted and/or have poor genetics...discus should be round)

Ashley
05-04-2010, 07:49 PM
small update here. Just called the company that I ordered the filter from and he suggested a Fluval fx5 for the size of my tank and for the fish that I have. the eheim for the money and the capability of keeping my tank clean, I could get something bigger and better and save $100!!!! I also asked about the Fluval G6 and he said if you have a small bioload and want something that looks good it's the way to go, otherwise i can get something better for my money. So I changed my order to a Fluval fx5!!!!!! The guy was really awesome and informative, i am happy I called!!!

Ashley
05-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Oh, I also get all the media free with it and a 500ml bottle of prime free with it!! Which is good because I've been wanting to try prime!!

Ashley
05-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Just a bit of an update here. Got some plants today from the lfs. No vals unfortunately, but got some other great plants. Added some ferts to help them settle in. I won't get my filter until later in the week to come (delay in shipping). Got 5 new platys, which are enjoying the new plants. Here are some pics (pls. note bubbles in the water from water change, so not the clearest pics).

Ashley
05-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Just a small update here...

I have decided as some of you know to no longer do a discus tank, as I just don't think it's right for me at this time. So instead I will be doing a rainbow tank, this way I don't have to get rid of a bunch of fish and can accomodate the rainbows a lot better. I bought 2 more dwarf neons that I will post a pic of soon. I also bought two more plants for taller grass plants.

The fluval fx5 will hopefully be in by friday it was shipped yesterday. This weekend I'll be setting up my first canister filter!!! Hopefully all does well! I bought some polishing pads for the filter as well. I just hope the fx5 doesn't have too rough of water output for my tank, lol, I don't want to see plants flying everywhere!

Lady Hobbs
05-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Keep your outflow right where it will move the surface water around without splashing and you'll have no problem. As soon as mine begans to splash, I know I need to top off the water. You will love that canister!

tanks4thememories
05-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Just a small update here...

I have decided as some of you know to no longer do a discus tank, as I just don't think it's right for me at this time. So instead I will be doing a rainbow tank, this way I don't have to get rid of a bunch of fish and can accomodate the rainbows a lot better. I bought 2 more dwarf neons that I will post a pic of soon. I also bought two more plants for taller grass plants.

The fluval fx5 will hopefully be in by friday it was shipped yesterday. This weekend I'll be setting up my first canister filter!!! Hopefully all does well! I bought some polishing pads for the filter as well. I just hope the fx5 doesn't have too rough of water output for my tank, lol, I don't want to see plants flying everywhere!

You will love it. I have 2 FX5s and will probably get more in the future...lol and the output is totally adjustable. The nozzles can be adjusted to point directly up or towards the closest tank wall ( I point mines UP which gives additional aeration benefits)

Then on each of the hose connections you have flow adjustment as well.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4023/4541771275_7383232fe5.jpg
FX5 Flow Regulator Valve.

Ashley
05-12-2010, 09:58 PM
So my filter came in the mail today! really early since it was just shipped yesterday! Wow, I had no clue this filter is so big!!! I was going to put it in a shelf beside the tank (because the back of my tanks stand is covered in wood and I would have to bend the hosing down and the up to the tank, and i don't think this will work). Now I am not sure it will fit in the shelf. I am going to wait until saturday so I have more time to play with it and get it just right.

Ashley
05-15-2010, 03:43 PM
So I got the filter in the shelf after sawing and breaking one shelf with a hammer, lol. Looks ok,if you like a filter in a t.v. wall unti look, lol. Perhaps I will make doors for the until one day. Bit of bad news, the company who shipped the filter forgot to include the media and prime :P Not sure how they forgot that, but now I have to wait until probably wednesday or tuesday if I'm lucky. I want to get stuff going already!! All new fish seem to be eating and doing well all around. I still have to search for my new khulis, but I'm sure they'll be out and about, soon enough.

Ashley
05-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Got the fx5 up and running, boy was that a long night, lol. I decided to go with biomax and prefilter in the first and second baskets and biomax and polishing pad in the 3rd basket along with all of the biomax from my old filters. The BP is gone, got some rock shrimps and 2 rubberlip plecos to replace the common plecos. The filter is quiet now that all the air is out of it.

tanks4thememories
05-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Got the fx5 up and running, boy was that a long night, lol. I decided to go with biomax and prefilter in the first and second baskets and biomax and polishing pad in the 3rd basket along with all of the biomax from my old filters. The BP is gone, got some rock shrimps and 2 rubberlip plecos to replace the common plecos. The filter is quiet now that all the air is out of it.

GOOD JOB!! Need some pic's though please?