PDA

View Full Version : is my pleco going to die?

deano1978
05-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Hi

i have a new tank and my pleco has been fine but all of a sudden he looks as if he is going from black to more white. i am worried that he isn't eating but how can i be sure? can i give him anything that he will definantly eat. what else could be making him lose colour? any idea's anyone?

hungryhound
05-22-2007, 05:27 PM
What are your water parameters. Is this "new" tank cycled. If not he may be experiencing New tank syndrome.

Incredulous_Ed
05-23-2007, 06:27 PM
It is very important if the tank is cycled. As hungryhound said, what are your parameters?

Juannie
05-25-2007, 12:04 AM
That's a worry, I feed mine zucchinni (amongst other things) - he loves the stuff, maybe try that to see if it helps with eating.

Mdsuave13
06-21-2007, 03:44 AM
peeled cucumbers work wonders with my fish as well.

Lady Hobbs
06-21-2007, 05:46 AM
Pleco's are not a good fish to have in new tanks. They feed off algae and new tanks haven't grown any yet. Algae pellets should help but don't put too many in the tank at once or they make the water dirty. Since pleco's eat at night, feed him one at night.

As hungryhound suggested, check your water. You may well have high ammonia and nitrites.

dorkopolis
07-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Pleco's are not a good fish to have in new tanks. They feed off algae and new tanks haven't grown any yet. Algae pellets should help but don't put too many in the tank at once or they make the water dirty. Since pleco's eat at night, feed him one at night.

So if you give zucchini or cucumber to a pleco at night, just remove it in the morning? I am another person who fails at pleco-feeding :(

rollie
07-09-2007, 05:15 PM
some will change color at will. i had seen this alot to.

but he should not of been put in a new tank.

TowBoater
07-10-2007, 01:28 AM
All of the pleco I have every had have done fine. I used to have to go trade mine in because he got to large for my aquarium, I would keep them and watch them grow from 2" to about 8-9" and I would go and make about 5$ off of them. Usually one lasted about 2 years before being traded. Algae is a must and I was stupid enough to put one in one of my new tanks, thought I would have known better but I did and I just fed it algae wafers and he did great. He is still in there. Try different kinds of algae wafers and I have even seen mine eat on regular bottom feeder wafers. Mine love cucumbers also!!!!

Juannie
07-13-2007, 02:04 AM
Variety is good for them, mine loves his shrimp pellets, wood chip & spirulina wafers, he also eats my Hikari Cichlid Bio Gold when my oscar leaves them behind!

parrotma32578
07-13-2007, 06:42 PM
I have raised 3 Plecos from 1" to over 8" long. One of my Plecos frequently changes from light to dark--the other two don't. This has been going on since we brought them in from the pond last October '06 to our 75-gal inside tank. One thing to remember is that Plecos do not live by algae alone! You will need to offer other food--I give mine algae wafers.