PDA

View Full Version : planted betta

sebastien
05-02-2010, 01:52 AM
My betta is in a 10gal w/ no filter..sand as bottom...rocks at the back..so if i wanted to plant the tank what would i have to do? EASY PLANTS ONLY! And can i just change the bulb in a regular lamp and grow plants..?

rich311k
05-02-2010, 02:41 AM
What kind of bulb is the the light? Mosses, anubia and crypts will all grow in low light. Your betta will love a planted home.

souly
05-02-2010, 02:41 AM
What type of light do you have in the tank? does the hood use a flourenst light or is it bulb? You could swithc to a CFL bulb. To plant the tank you are going to need some form of Subtrate, or get an anuabis plant mounted a rock which you could place int he tank. DO note you will need a filter unless you want to do water changed every other day or so to make sure he's good. Also, a heater will be needed. If you swith to a CFL bulb to plant the tank, you'll lose the heat from the bulb.

sebastien
05-02-2010, 02:48 AM
rich it's just a regular lamp desk..i couldnt tell you what it is right now because im not there..(split household) and i have sand at the bottom.. not good enough substrate?

souly
05-02-2010, 02:52 AM
Sand will be sine. However you'll need to put in things like java moss, and basically waht rich suggested then since the its lamp bulb. to et good plant growth I'd do a CFL bulb.

sebastien
05-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Sand will be sine. However you'll need to put in things like java moss, and basically waht rich suggested then since the its lamp bulb. to et good plant growth I'd do a CFL bulb.

--I'll switch the bulb..thanks both thumbs2:

AmyLynn
05-03-2010, 12:51 AM
You should be able to find a cfl listed as a "grow bulb" or plant bulb. That should give you a good enough spectrum for a few low light plants. Java ferns, anubias and java moss would all be great.

Your betta will be overjoyed. Mine loves hiding in his plants. :hmm3grin2orange:

sebastien
05-03-2010, 12:55 AM
i trusted my tanks to my mom for the weekend..my betta tank has white stringy stuff in it.. wth?? I just changed about 80% of water to get rid of it but there is still a lot.. =[