PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Filter Ready for a New Tank

Cliff
05-01-2010, 01:12 PM
I have a quick question about getting a filter ready for a new tank

I will be getting a 90 gallon in about 6 weeks or so from now. The plan is to move everyone from my 55 gallon to my 90 gallon. By everyone I mean: two blue firemouths, two severums, two BN plecos, and possibly one of my blue acaras. I could use a little input with how I’m planning to make the switch. Here’s what I have been thinking

I have an aqua clear 70 and a Fluval FX5 that I was planning to use for filtration on the 90 gallon. I was planning to move all the filter media from my Fluval 405 (which is currently on the 55 gallon tank) into the FX5 on the 90 gallon when I’m ready to move the fish. I had just added the aqua clear 70 to my 55 gallon tank today for it to build up enough BB so it is ready to be moved to the 90 gallon as well. I’ve never done this with such a large filter as the aqua clear 70 before

So here’s my question:

How long would you keep the aqua clear 70 running on the 55 gallon before it would be ready to be moved on to the 90 gallon? How long would it take to build up enough BB to be moved. Is 6 weeks enough?

If I’ve forgotten to provide any info, please ask me any questions you would need to offer advice.

Thank you

rich311k
05-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Sounds like a good plan. Six weeks will be more than long enough.

Northernguy
05-01-2010, 03:07 PM
thumbs2: Thats a great plan!
It should be well established by then.

Zilla
05-05-2010, 07:10 PM
6 weeks is fine, just don't get stuck in the situation like you did before where you unintentionally spread the algae. =)

jaysee
05-05-2010, 07:25 PM
I would put the AC's biomax in the 405, or even better swap out some biomedia from the 405 and replace it with the AC's biomax. Then it would be ready immediately.

tanks4thememories
05-05-2010, 07:30 PM
thumbs2: Thats a great plan!
It should be well established by then.

I agree. FYI If you set up the FX5 on the 55 gallon and leave the top off, fill it with tank water from the 55 then rinse the 405 media in the FX5 canister as if you were doing routine filter cleaning, then let that settle for about 15-30 mins then reassemble the fx5 and run it on the 55 (it will initially cloud the water when you turn it on don't worry it will clear quickly). In 6 weeks time the fx5 will be ready as well. I have done this before and it works great.

Sasquatch
05-05-2010, 09:04 PM
All good suggestions so far and yeah, 6 weeks is enough to build up the bacteria in the AC70.

Do you have the FX5 on hand? If so, you could transfer the media now from the 405 and when the new tank is ready, just switch the filtration.

Cliff
05-05-2010, 11:04 PM
:hmm3grin2orange: Thanks Zilla

Once was more than enough for me:hmm3grin2orange:

Cliff
05-05-2010, 11:09 PM
I agree. FYI If you set up the FX5 on the 55 gallon and leave the top off, fill it with tank water from the 55 then rinse the 405 media in the FX5 canister as if you were doing routine filter cleaning, then let that settle for about 15-30 mins then reassemble the fx5 and run it on the 55 (it will initially cloud the water when you turn it on don't worry it will clear quickly). In 6 weeks time the fx5 will be ready as well. I have done this before and it works great.

Thanks Tanks (try saying that 5 times fast )

I was thinking about what the best way was to get the FX5 ready. Should I first wait for the AC70 to be ready (after the 7 weeks) and then complete what you have suggested? My only concern is how to avoid a potenital mini cycle if the AC70 is not ready and I start messing around with the main filter, or am I worrying over nothing as I'm using all the filter media from the 405.