PDA

View Full Version : Ugh! Laterite

Zilla
04-28-2010, 04:17 PM
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/Zillasplace/mess.jpg

Pictured above is the 20 gallon. Elvis is in a covered container elsewhere and I took all all the plants except for the mosses. They'll be getting a good rinse once all this crap clears up.

I've been having hazy water issues for the past couple of weeks in this tank. I kept checking for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, ect and nothing was coming up. No ammonia, nitrites and nitrates for this tank never get above 7.

The cloudiness started when I started doing deep vacuums, so today is the day for the overhaul that I was hoping I wouldn't have to do. I grabbed one of the filters from the 55 as it would have taken forever with the 2 AC 20's I have and I didn't want to keep draining / refilling the tank from just vacuuming the crap out of there. It's easier to just keeping refreshing floss as needed.

More stupid advice that I should have never taken. I read all over the place that Laterite should be added to Flourite as Flourite alone won't support plants. Well that's all nice and such, there also should be a disclaimer that if you intend never to vacuum your tank, you won't have hazy water problems, but if you do vacuum, expect to have a fugly looking tank.

The tank wasn't this bad before I started. It was only slightly hazy. A follow up picture will be posted once the mess clears and I put the tank back together.

Aeonflame
04-28-2010, 04:50 PM
A sponge filter will go a long way in cleaning that stuff up

Taurus
04-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Reminds me why I love my gravel substrate.

fish00053
04-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Add sponge filtering and polishing pads and carbon to help clear it up a little. There is drops that are also very effective for clearing up water also. Can't think of the name of them but you use a eyedropper to add with.

Scrup
04-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Plain white felt (same material as a felt sock used in sumps, lots of LFS carry them) works great at getting very small crud out of the water too, clearing cloudyness, but it will clog up in about a day. not a big deal as it rinses fairly easily.

Zilla
04-28-2010, 08:58 PM
This has turned into a all day nightmare and the tank still isn't finished, I'm acclimating Elvis so he can atleast be out of the container he has been in all day for the rest of today and tonight. I don't know if I'll be moving him again tomorrow or not.

Since none of the stores around here carry sponge filters, I spent well over an hour watching the crap from the Laterite swirl around in the tank. My patience started wearing thin, so I decided to see what would happen if I really stirred up the Flourite.

Here's what I got...

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/Zillasplace/gross.jpg

I took all the Flourite out, loaded it into a bucket and brought it outside. More than a hour later with taking the hose to it, the water still wouldn't come clean. I decided give up on that and promptly took the 20 gallon apart the rest of the way. Drained and refilled it. The filters were clogged with crap from the Laterite so all 3 filters I had been using had to be cleaned out.

Once that was done, I took a big chunk of seeded media from the second filter on the 55, crammed it into one of the filters for the 20. Got that going only to find that now there is something wrong with the filter I stuffed. I've taken it apart 3 times and I have no clue what's wrong with it as there is nothing stuck in the motor, ect. Whatever! So I take the media out of that one and do a clean and cram in the other one. After that, I plugged the heater back in. I'll be replacing the messed up filter later today. I have it running, but it sounds like it's on its last legs for whatever stupid reason.

Once I toss the plants back in, I'm calling it a day. The mosses have been rinsed although I could probably rinse them a few more times and get more junk out of them, but my hands are like raisins and walking around with one dry sock and one wet one sucks. Yes, I managed to soak one foot but not the other while rinsing the Flourite with the hose.

I still have atleast half a bucket of Flourite to rinse and the water is still muddy looking. *sigh* Maybe I'll go back to it later tonight after we get back from doing errands and I clean the kitchen that presently looks like a few bombs went off in it. There is carbon in the filter that is dying and I'll get some batting for polishing when I go out later.

chrisfraser05
04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Wow!!!! bad day!

Hope tomorrow is a better one for you :ssmile:

Lady Hobbs
04-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Terrible stuff that laterite is. I used my vac and sucked out all I could get back out of my gravel.

tanks4thememories
04-29-2010, 12:15 AM
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/Zillasplace/mess.jpg

Pictured above is the 20 gallon. Elvis is in a covered container elsewhere and I took all all the plants except for the mosses. They'll be getting a good rinse once all this crap clears up.

I've been having hazy water issues for the past couple of weeks in this tank. I kept checking for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, ect and nothing was coming up. No ammonia, nitrites and nitrates for this tank never get above 7.

The cloudiness started when I started doing deep vacuums, so today is the day for the overhaul that I was hoping I wouldn't have to do. I grabbed one of the filters from the 55 as it would have taken forever with the 2 AC 20's I have and I didn't want to keep draining / refilling the tank from just vacuuming the crap out of there. It's easier to just keeping refreshing floss as needed.

More stupid advice that I should have never taken. I read all over the place that Laterite should be added to Flourite as Flourite alone won't support plants. Well that's all nice and such, there also should be a disclaimer that if you intend never to vacuum your tank, you won't have hazy water problems, but if you do vacuum, expect to have a fugly looking tank.

The tank wasn't this bad before I started. It was only slightly hazy. A follow up picture will be posted once the mess clears and I put the tank back together.

Wow sorry for your troubles. Hope it works out better.

Zilla
04-29-2010, 02:03 AM
It's been 12 hours since I started what I thought was going to be a simple project.

I have a few cups of Laterite left, but I think it's going to be divided and dumped in the soil for the new Gerber Daisies we bought this evening. We also got some new ornamental grass that I'm excited to plant.

I went out and got some batting to get rid of any remaining dust that is hanging around. My vet was at the craft store so we got to talking about fish tanks. LOL

Elvis is considerably less stressed since I put all the plants back in. The Banana plant is in a weird spot, but considering where the tank was this afternoon, I think there has been some major progress made.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/Zillasplace/almost.jpg

My dying filter has decided to stop making noise. I bought another one anyway. My agenda for the next week or so is to watch out for any mini-cycles and find a new home for the banana plant. It looks stupid where it is, but I need a break, so it can look stupid for a bit.

Thanks guys for the help and for your comments. It was a nasty job that I wouldn't wish on anybody but now that it's done, I won't have to deal with / or worry about it anymore.

tanks4thememories
04-29-2010, 04:32 AM
It's been 12 hours since I started what I thought was going to be a simple project.

I have a few cups of Laterite left, but I think it's going to be divided and dumped in the soil for the new Gerber Daisies we bought this evening. We also got some new ornamental grass that I'm excited to plant.

I went out and got some batting to get rid of any remaining dust that is hanging around. My vet was at the craft store so we got to talking about fish tanks. LOL

Elvis is considerably less stressed since I put all the plants back in. The Banana plant is in a weird spot, but considering where the tank was this afternoon, I think there has been some major progress made.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/Zillasplace/almost.jpg

My dying filter has decided to stop making noise. I bought another one anyway. My agenda for the next week or so is to watch out for any mini-cycles and find a new home for the banana plant. It looks stupid where it is, but I need a break, so it can look stupid for a bit.

Thanks guys for the help and for your comments. It was a nasty job that I wouldn't wish on anybody but now that it's done, I won't have to deal with / or worry about it anymore.

Oooooo I can see plants...nice progress...dont worry it will come together..we have faith in ya!!thumbs2:

fish00053
04-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi Zilla, I really hope you got that tank under control. I have never seen anything like that. Obviously you do know what your doing and to bad I not their to give you a hand. You seem like it was really stressing you out. Sorry to here of your issue.:22:

Scrup
04-29-2010, 03:35 PM
I would get some felt, pop it in the filter and give the tank a good stirring.

I have a modified HOB I made just to clear up crud in the water. Uses all felt and filter floss, and is not used for bio filtration at all, as I rinse the filters out in tap water and it will sit for a few weeks without being used.

Taurus
04-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Yup, HOB water polisher. ^

tanks4thememories
04-29-2010, 04:57 PM
I would get some felt, pop it in the filter and give the tank a good stirring.

I have a modified HOB I made just to clear up crud in the water. Uses all felt and filter floss, and is not used for bio filtration at all, as I rinse the filters out in tap water and it will sit for a few weeks without being used.

I like that ides. Reminds me back in the day (when I worked in a LFS a million years ago..lol) we used to have a diatom filter we kept at the ready for just such a purpose.

Zilla
04-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Tank is now clear. My camera skills suck in the morning though. My tank also isn't crooked and the white line in the left is sunlight sneeking in around the blinds.

I took the carbon out yesterday and rinsed the batting that was being used to polish the water. Those can stay, but they're probably are ready for another rinse by now. I added PhosGuard to eat up any silicates that may try to take up residence.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/Zillasplace/clearcopy.jpg

The inside glass needs to be wiped down, but other than that, it's all good. Mr. Elvis appears to be happy as well as he's working on another bubble nest.

The Vals also need to be trimmed. Meh! I didn't realise how long they really were until I put them back in. When I took them out, I folded the leaves in half so they would fit in a large bowl. When I put them back in, that's when I got the hint that they are in dire need of a trim. I'm not doing it right now though. They're not blocking lots of light and they need to re-adjust, so it can wait for a few weeks.

Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
pH-7.0
Nitrates-3

Today is lawn mowing, plant trimming ( outdoor plants that is) digging plants up, planting new ones, and finish raking the front yard day. I also need to make a chicken stock, spaghetti sauce, ect. My new test kits will be in and maybe my book order. I bought one filled with recipes for preserves. Nothing beats homemade jam, especially on homemade bread. A good way to end a rotten week. Now if I could get the Kiss lyrics out of my head, it would be a even better day.

Kiss- Do you love me?

[Verse]
You really like my limousine
You like the way the wheels roll
You like my seven inch leather heels
And goin' to all of the shows, but

[Chorus]
Do you love me?
Do you love me?
Do you love me?
Really love me?

[Verse]
You like the credit cards and private planes
Money can really take you far
You like the hotels and fancy clothes
And the sound of electric guitars, but

[Chorus]
Do you love me?
Do you love me?
Do you love me?
(I mean like do you) really love me?

[Verse]
You really like rock 'n' roll
All of the fame and the masquerade
You like the concerts and studios
And all the money, honey, that I make, but

[Chorus]
Do you love me?
do you love me?
Do you love me? (ummm) really love me?

Your backstage pass and black sunglasses
Make you look just like a queen
Even the fans, they know your face
From all of the magazines, but

[Chorus]
Do you love me? (do you love me?)
(uh, uh, uh) really love me? (really love me?)
I wanna know

(I mean like do you) really love me? (really love me?)
I wanna know
Do you love me (do you love me)
(uh, uh, uh) Do you love me (do you love me)
I mean like do you
Really love me (really love me)

I want you to (do you love me, do you love me)
I need you to (do you love me, do you love me)
And you know I'm so tired of everybody sayin' it
And you know, (do you love me, do you love me)
I just gotta know if you really really really, really love me
(do you love me, do you love me)
So come on, do you love me (do you love me)
I need you to
Do you love me (do you love me) I want you to
I wanna know
Do you love me (do you love me) do you, do you
I just got to have some love (do you love me, do you love me)
I just got to have some love (do you love me)
I just got to have some love, love, love, love, love

DOH!

tanks4thememories
04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
AWESOME!! Knew you would tame that flourite!! Looks good, Good Job!!

Zilla
04-30-2010, 03:42 PM
AWESOME!! Knew you would tame that flourite!! Looks good, Good Job!!

Thanks.

Ya know, anytime you want to share some of your energetic vibes, you're more than welcome to head north on my gardening days. It's sunny and nice out, atleast for today anyway. :hmm3grin2orange:

I was told by a master gardner yesterday that Rhododendrons would be a breeze to dig up. Yeah right! I suppose it would be a breeze if I had arms like Lou Ferrigno. Ugh! They had to come out as the entire backside of them was dead and leaving them would have meant having to dig them out later, but damn. An hour and half later, the stupid things are in the compost pile.

Scrup
04-30-2010, 03:58 PM
I was told by a master gardner yesterday that Rhododendrons would be a breeze to dig up. Yeah right! I suppose it would be a breeze if I had arms like Lou Ferrigno. Ugh! They had to come out as the entire backside of them was dead and leaving them would have meant having to dig them out later, but damn. An hour and half later, the stupid things are in the compost pile.

Glad to hear the you got it under control!

If it makes you feel any better, I have a 30' flower bed in my backyard with 20+ years of unkept shrubs that I will be pulling out over the next few weeks. No idea what they are, they just make lots of little red, then black berries and droop to the ground where my dog eats them then gets an upset stomach. Waiting on the power company to come trim the tops so I can take them down, as they grew so tall they interlaced with the power lines. These are SHRUBS mind you.

I can see the original 3. That would be a task in itself since the stumps are about 6" each, with 10-15 per bush. There are now over 50 of them all through the flower bed, with 1-2" roots that go all over the place.

At least I wont be bored!

tanks4thememories
04-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks.

Ya know, anytime you want to share some of your energetic vibes, you're more than welcome to head north on my gardening days. It's sunny and nice out, atleast for today anyway. :hmm3grin2orange:
Hey us Leo's got to keep each other energized...lol

rotfl..I will share one of my favorite quotes, Wish I wrote it but sadly not so. "Anything is possible to the man who only has to say it" and on situations like yours I substitute Possible for Easy...lol

Alasse
05-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Looks excellent, well done!

This is why i do not gravel clean any of my fully planted tanks *L*