PDA

View Full Version : Sagittaria subulata flowering?

wlepse
04-28-2010, 12:46 AM
I recently added some sag to my tank and noticed yesterday a couple of buds on a runner. Then tonight it started to open but what I thought was really strange was that there is an air bubble that is coming out of the budding flower. Is this normal?

Wild Turkey
04-28-2010, 12:56 AM
It doesnt flower (or, as far as I know). Runners are how it spreads so what you are seeing sounds like a new plantlet, let it go and it will fill in like a carpet. One of my favorite plants.

J Pribb
04-28-2010, 01:08 AM
not sure of the emoticon, but "THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS".

wlepse
04-28-2010, 01:20 AM
not sure of the emoticon, but "THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS".
I realized that as I was posting but by the time I got back up to the tank the lights went out. If it is still there tomorrow I will take a pic.

Wild Turkey...I did do a search and found lots of pics of the flowers, they are very tiny white flowers. There is one pic here: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/Img2001/600/17.jpg But I am not sure if I am using the right terminology....I only said runner since the stem with the flower pretty much appeared out of no where and was running (growing) quickly towards the surface.

Wild Turkey
04-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Ive personally never seen them do that, really cool

Searching out on the net it seems like they flower when it grows tall but Im not 100% on that. Growing tall I have heard of, sometimes it will shoot way up like that.