PDA

View Full Version : Water testing chemistry lab - needs help

Rue
05-21-2007, 09:20 PM
I have 4 tanks...and the API Master Test Kit that most of us seem to use (which would amount to a LOT of people and sales)...so when I set up 'shop' I test all 4 tanks at once...otherwise I'd be there forever, testing each parametre separately for each tank...so it's a bit of a chemistry session when I do it..

...but the packaging sucks, in my opinion...as far as ease of testing goes...

...that huge top with the little tray for the bottles and test tubes isn't helpful...the spaces to hold the test tubes are too close together...everytime I open the kit...the instruction manual goes flying...it doesn't come with an eye dropper...the lids for test tubes don't have a storage area (and you can't put them on the test tubes to store, if you want the water from rinsing them to dry out...

So I called API - very nice guy on the phone...and requested that they design a better 'lab'...I'd be willing to pay a bit extra for one...anyone else?

...and yes...I could find a test tube holder somewhere...that may fit...and I could likely buy an eye-dropper...and DIY...but I don't want to...I want to buy a nifty little 'lab'...it really wouldn't take much at all on their part...

xoolooxunny
05-22-2007, 12:48 AM
a lot of times packaging is where companies try to save a little bit of money to keep cost down and profits up. I only test my 75g with the whole kit, my 10g upstairs only gets ph tested. and i have a digital for that. so a little lab wouldnt do me much good, but they could make a little kit that goes along with the master test kit, sort of like an option, instead of making the cost go up for everybody. good idea, though.

Rue
05-22-2007, 01:30 AM
...I don't really do the pH testing...just once in a blue moon...never seems to fluctuate any...

...it's mostly the nitrates I'm concerned about...my ammonia and nitrite levels are usually 0...rarely a bit more...

But it would just be so much easier if I had a tidy little (easy-clean) set-up...

xoolooxunny
05-22-2007, 01:53 AM
...I don't really do the pH testing...just once in a blue moon...never seems to fluctuate any...

...it's mostly the nitrates I'm concerned about...my ammonia and nitrite levels are usually 0...rarely a bit more...

But it would just be so much easier if I had a tidy little (easy-clean) set-up...

get some blocks of foam, like 2x2x10. then drill or scrape holes so the tubes fit snugly, and you can cap them and shake them all at once for the nitrate test. number your tanks and number the slots on the foam and the tubes. I know you said you didnt want a DIY, but you might be waiting for a long time for API to make something new for you.

Rue
05-22-2007, 01:59 AM
...what??? API won't be hitting the drawing board for me tomorrow??? Well now...come to think on it...they didn't even ask me my name!!!

You could be right...

...DYI it's gonna have to be...

...good idea witht he styrofoam...thanks!