PDA

View Full Version : When do they look like fish?

Abbeys_Mom
05-21-2007, 08:58 PM
My Dwarf Gourami fry will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. I never new having Gourami fry would involve back breaking labor! I have changed there water every day for 2 weeks. The back breaking part is putting my arm up and over the edge of the tank with my head down at the bottom to make sure I am not sucking anyone up. I think I have lost about 1/3 of them. It's really hard to feed fry that were under a millimeter when they were born. They are about 6 millimeters now, but somehow, I think they should be bigger after 2 weeks.
They are in a 10g with clean water every day, so it doesn't seem to be a space issue. I feed them twice a day and if I did anymore then that I would have to change the water twice a day (and I am not over feeding, you have to put food over the whole tank because they still aren't swimming far). If I didn't know they were gouramis, I would never have guessed it. They are smaller at 2 weeks then new born platy fry.
The other problem I have is that I am going away for 4 days as of Thursday. I can feed them Thursday morning and again when I get home Sunday evening, but they are going to be on their own between those days. They are way to small for a feeder block, so I am not sure what to do. Any Ideas?

Abbeys_Mom
05-23-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm not as worried now, they are starting to eat the planeria that are building up in the tank (it's hard not to overfeed these guys). I am hoping the larger ones will make it.

Incredulous_Ed
05-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Why are you changing the water every day? With a ten gallon tank, you would probably be fine with only twice a week changes, but do whatever you think is best. My danio fry didn't look like fish until over 6 weeks if that helps. Good luck with the fry!

Abbeys_Mom
05-23-2007, 06:52 PM
With feeding egg, the tank is a mess. I am switching them to half dry fish food, half egg. They just developed their labyrinth organ yesterday, you can tell, because they are see-through. The white things on the glass are clumps of egg held by algae, lol.