PDA

View Full Version : goldfish audition

newguy
05-21-2007, 07:24 PM
This forum has been really helpful, and I want to learn all I can about goldfish so I can provide them optimal care. Today I found out that fish can hear sounds. Since I listen to music with heavy bass in my room, I wonder if that stresses the goldfish. I'm no expert on the physics of sound waves, but the thought occurred to me that my fish might be hearing my music too!

cocoa_pleco
05-21-2007, 07:33 PM
If it's extremely loud, it bugs them. The vibration ticks them off. I tried an experiment once where i had the same rap with heavy bass on in my car full volume, TV full volume, and stereo, and they got stressed.

Juannie
05-22-2007, 12:31 AM
We had a party one night and had incredibly loud music, luckily my goldies were in another room but my oscar got really really aggro and started having a go at the other fish in his tank. We learnt our lesson, we've had loud music but not too the extreme, they definitely don't like it. It seems to vibrate through the glass into their tanks.

Incredulous_Ed
05-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Maybe the best thing to do is have the tank at the opposite side of the speaker and subwoofer. Personally, I haven't had any problems with vibrations, but that's just me.

Drumachine09
05-23-2007, 06:14 PM
The sound will cause vibrations, which will stess the fish. The stress will lead to poor health, which will lead to the fish getting ick, which, if not properly cared for, the fish will die.

Music + loudness + fishtank= no good.