PDA

View Full Version : leaping goldies

Scrup
04-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Found one my goldfish on the floor, dried out, but he actually recovered.

So I was wondering what it could have been that spooked the goldfish, as they are calm enough usually to let me just reach in and pick them up.

Looking around the tank, I noticed tons of little white and clear dots all over everything....the walls, the plants, the filter, the floor.:ssuprised:

My goldfish have been busy it seems.:hmm3grin2orange:

Cococrunch
04-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Fish jumping out of the tank has alot of Reasons E.g. Car Passing by and the Fish get spooked or the Door Slamming; By the way Is it a fancy or Common/Comet Type Goldfish?

-Coco

Brhino
04-26-2010, 03:28 PM
we had one of our fancies jump once. It was feeding time, and it seems the first one was near the surface waiting for food when the other one came up underneath him, which apparently spooked him enough to cause him to jump. Fortunately since we were feeding them we were able to return him immediately.

Normally they bump and rub against each other all the time, so I'm not sure what made that event jumpworthy.

Cococrunch
04-26-2010, 03:31 PM
we had one of our fancies jump once. It was feeding time, and it seems the first one was near the surface waiting for food when the other one came up underneath him, which apparently spooked him enough to cause him to jump. Fortunately since we were feeding them we were able to return him immediately.

Normally they bump and rub against each other all the time, so I'm not sure what made that event jumpworthy.

I agree with you but anythings Possible :) Although Fancies aren't that prone to Jumping as much as Comets and Commons Because of there Weight, Body shape etc. As they're Slow Swimmers Compared to the Slender/Torpedo Type Body of the Comets Which are more Prone to Jump out of a tank/ Pond

-Coco

Scrup
04-26-2010, 04:28 PM
I agree with you but anythings Possible :) Although Fancies aren't that prone to Jumping as much as Comets and Commons Because of there Weight, Body shape etc. As they're Slow Swimmers Compared to the Slender/Torpedo Type Body of the Comets Which are more Prone to Jump out of a tank/ Pond

-Coco

They are comets. No cars or anything nearby, they are in the sunroom in the back of the house, pretty quiet back there. Who knows. All I know is I have a bunch of eggs everywhere. I am thinking they got caught up in the spawning or rammed by some that were spawning and went airborne.

Almost time to put em outside again!

Alasse
05-01-2010, 09:59 AM
A bug could have crawled along the glass, could have just decided to see whats on the other side, comets are known for jumping out of uncovered tanks.

VoidParadigm
05-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Huge number of reasons, you'll likely never find the actual cause.
Every one of my goldfish has at least attempted jumping, with 1/2 actually making it out of the pond and/or tank.

Cococrunch
05-01-2010, 02:04 PM
I agree With VoidParadigm Theres Alot of Factors why Fish jump not Just Goldfish but many Others.

Cliff
05-01-2010, 02:45 PM
The biggest reason for spooked fish that I have experienced was my lighting. When the light would come on, the tank when from dark to daylight in an instant. It really freaked out the fish. If there was no lid on the tank, I could have had a jumper.

Had to set two small lamps next to the tank on timers so I could slowly raise the lighting

Just a thought

troy
05-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Maybe its a female goldfish and it was tired of the male goldfish chasing it.