PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Plant Seeds?

kel
04-26-2010, 12:08 PM
I am in the process of building and 'scaping a 10 gallon Betta tank and it will be my first tank with plants in it that aren't of the plastic variety.

I am a pretty skilled backyard gardener so growing plants isn't foreign to me however growing them underwater in their own eco-system is new lol. In my years of gardening one thing has always rang true.... seeds are cheaper than full grown plants plus you get a lot more of them for less.

My question, is it possible to purchase aquatic plant seeds? Do aquatic plants even produce seeds or is the propagation method different from terrestrial plants?

rich311k
04-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Most aquarium plnats actually grow emersed in the wild or send up flower shoots above the water's surface. They will flower and produce seeds which then fall in the water and germinate.

I do not know of any site that sells seeds for plants that are able to grow submersed.

waack
04-26-2010, 12:22 PM
obviously only plants that flower can produce seeds there are some though here is a link

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/plants/PlantPropagation.htm

hope it helps

waack
04-26-2010, 12:23 PM
haha rich beat me to it

Aeonflame
04-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Bulbs are probably much more available and easier to grow than seeds. Of course, not all plants have bulbs

Lady Hobbs
04-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Never heard of it (seeds). I have tons of household plants but it's not even close to trying to keep an aquarium planted. In gardens and houseplants you have a watering schedule, don't have to worry about buying special lights and you don't have algae to contend with. It's apples and oranges.

SunSchein89
04-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Honestly, for a 10 gallon tank, you're not going to be breaking the bank buying some plants that are already grown out for you. It will give you something to look at right away unless you want to have the pleasure of watching your plants grow from "birth."

kel
04-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Honestly, for a 10 gallon tank, you're not going to be breaking the bank buying some plants that are already grown out for you. It will give you something to look at right away unless you want to have the pleasure of watching your plants grow from "birth."

I realize that.. but I also have a 55 cycling and a 28 and thought I might get more bang for my buck that way. After asking though I kinda had a feeling the answer was exactly as posted above. Oh well... thats what I get for thinking at 4 am lol.

Sarkazmo
04-27-2010, 12:18 AM
There's tons of VERY affordable plants on the Plantedtank.net in their Swap&Shop section. I've gotten a lot of great plants on there from other enthusiasts.

Sark

EDIT: a great number of plants put off plantlings or can be cut and cloned essentially.

octoxpuss
04-27-2010, 01:15 AM
On the other hand I every now and then again pic up so bulbs of plants and will stick them in a jar with half soil and half water and set them on a windosill and usually a majority of them will sprout so that is another way to look at it if you know what i mean. Usually for 3$ i get like 6 bulbs and about 4 out of the 6 actually sprout and mature to create smaller bulbs that break away from the plants.